Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Preschool

A few weeks ago a neighbor and I decided to start a "preschool," with our children. The kids would get together once a week and then the rest of the week we would do the lessons separately. We found a great website that has a nice curriculum laid out so it minimizes the amount of prep work involved which as all of us know is insanely helpful.

Well so far it has been a raging success. No Abbie is not reading, not even close. That isn't really the point for me. In fact she still gets confused about some of the sounds the letters make. The success is that she loves school. She asks to do it every day and throws a fit when it is over (Wait, how is this a success again?) I am less concerned that she is learning any specific things though as she knows her letters, shapes, and colors already, but I love that she loves learning. It has also been fun to have directed activities that we do together regularly.

Now here is where you come in, I am always looking for more ideas for what to do with Abbie -- as a part of school or not.
So I want to know -- "What do you do with your kids?" This isn't necessarily a preschool question. Just a question in general, what activities, crafts, games, outings, projects, do your kids love that you do together? I love getting ideas and seeing what other parents do, and I will try to hide my intimidation at your superior parenting skills as best I can.

2 comments:

delagray said...

Your preschool sounds fun. Great for social skills, too.

Bev Tate said...

I always steel ideas from other peoples blogs. I love the montessori school blogs as it gives lots of practical learning activities. I love doing pre-school with the girls it makes me feel that I'm actually teaching them something. And when they start to read oh theres nothing quiet like it. I love there excitement and quest for learning. It's definitley rewarding. Have fun