Sunday, June 14, 2009

WE DID IT !!!


Yesterday was our bike race and we lived to tell the tale. We woke up to rain, strong winds and dark imposing clouds only to have it all disappear just before the race began -- thank heavens. I was really scared because based on the weather we've had this week you would have thought we moved to Portland. You can see from the pictures we were prepared for bad weather (Please note the classy rain jacket I am wearing and the even more classy way in which I don't have it done all the way up. It is unfortunate I looked so bad before the race, because you don't get to see how I looked after.)


I rode 60 miles and Russ rode 100. We biked west of Brigham City through farm land. It was quite pretty and the cloud cover kept things pretty cool. Russ started an hour before me and I finished a little bit before him so I was able to get my camera from the car and take pictures of him, my brother and cousins coming through the finish line.
Russ looks a little grumpy here, but you can forgive him, he'd been on a bike for over six hours.
We both finished feeling remarkably well, which is fortunate because we came right home to two girls who wanted some serious parental attention. If I can figure out a way to train without it affecting my family I would love to do something like this again. I will probably never do a half marathon (sorry Lisa and Jen) because I hate running, but I really like cycling and hope to keep going!

8 comments:

JennyLynn said...

You inspire me! Way to go!

Brooke said...

Congrats! I was there, too, but only did the 10-miler cuz my friend I was doing it with had a bad cold. You're amazing!

Allison said...

Way to go! I wish we lived closer so I could have killed myself trying to keep up with you! You guys need to come up here next year and do the Reach the Beach with Chris, and I'll cheer you all on from the sidelines!

The Steeds said...

Glad that the weather wasn't all that bad. Power to you for doing it!

Kelseybob said...

Wow! I'm very proud of you.

The Woolf Pack said...

Nice Job! You guys are awesome. I'm glad the weather cooperated, that makes a huge difference. Just thinking about how far that was makes me ache. Maybe if I promise to do a bike race with you, you will do a half marathon with me. :)

Chelle and Aaron said...

Way to go Em! I am super impressed. I really miss having girlfriends to bike with btw. There really aren't any out here...bummer. After the baby I will have to sign up for a race.

Oh, and you looked hot in your rain coat. Totally rocked it.

Heather said...

way to go! You should be so proud of yourself. I keep thinking about training for a half marathon, but have never been that excited about it. I would like to get into biking, though. maybe one of these days!