Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Weather.com doesn't have a clue!

Yesterday was my last chance to get in a long ride before my race next week. We have something going every other day this week and our weekend is chalk full. So after calling every women I knew who rode a bike I finally got my friend Brenda to agree to come along with me. We geared up and hit the pavement about 5:50. I had spent the afternoon checking weather.com every fifteen minutes and knew we had a good three hour window to go on our ride.
The rain began about three minutes after we started. We rode through a quick shower and by the time we left the industrial park the rain had stopped. Te watched as storms swirled around us rain drenching the Great Salt Lake and Oquirrh Mountains, but giving us a clear channel through which to ride. Brenda said she didn't mind rain but if it started lightening it was time to turn around. Considering we were the only objects higher than sage brush around it was a wise move. I had just about made it to Salt Aire when I could no longer justify that the lightening was miles away -- that and I was hit with a wall of water.
Now I'm with Brenda, I don't mind a small shower on a bike ride, however the wall followed us eleven miles back to the car. It was accompanied with a nice strong wind so rain drops flew sideways down my ears. We were drenched. About a mile from the car the storm finally passed over us and the valley cleared into a nice sunny evening and the three hour block of good weather arrived.

Now I will admit that I didn't check weather.com for the last hour and a half before I left. I was too busy fixing dinner, feeding my kids and other more or less productive activities to to continue my every 15 minute vigil. But if weather.com can't accurately tell me the weather an hour and a half before it happens then what good are they?

4 comments:

Ben and Lisa said...

Seriously, I completely agree! I check the site (amongst other local weather sites) quite regularly as I plan out what splendid activities I'm going to use to keep my kids entertained. The stupid weather sites are always messing with me--telling me it's going to rain and it doesn't or vice versa. I think you should sue.

JennyLynn said...

You are so awesome. You are an inspiration to me! Good luck in your race. What an accomplishment that will be.

The Woolf Pack said...

You should just live here. 99.9% of the time it is hot & sunny, so we just look to see HOW hot it is going to be.
I know you are going to do great on your race next week.
As for preschool/stuff to do with your kids, you should check out my older post where people left me ideas. They were great. I will also email this website that Mark's mom sent me that has amazing ideas.

delagray said...

When next week is your race? I'm sure you've mentioned it. Logic would tell me that it will be next Saturday, but my logic is sometimes different than everyone else's. Best wishes.
May there be perfect weather.
May all your training pay off.
May the wind be at your back.
May you end feeling good about how you did.
(A Scot-Irish blessing rather than an Irish blessing.)