Tuesday, August 30, 2011

1st Day of Kindergarten


Abbie has been looking forward to Kindergarten since the day preschool ended in the spring. (Savannah is already asking when she can go.) The night before school started we asked her if she wanted a blessing. She had no concept of why she would need one. She has been so excited that nervousness didn't enter her brain. She met her teacher and saw her classroom last week. Since then every few hours she would say, "I wish Kindergarten was today."

Day one didn't start off as smoothly as we would have liked. The line to get into the parking lot stretched to the street. I had hoped to park and bring her in but only after we were trapped inside did we learn that the parking lot was beyond capacity. I asked her what she thought and she seemed fine so I just dropped her off. I called my neighbor who had come much earlier. She told me Abbie got a little lost and was crying. Abbie told me later she went straight to the classroom (which is where I would have taken her) and it was empty. That was when she cried. Thankfully someone led her to the multi-purpose room where all the students meet to line up. After that she cheered right up and the day went perfectly. She sang the newly learned Hokie Pokie all afternoon, talked about what she learned, recess, and lunch and was thrilled to be headed back today.

Today we went in and everything went much more smoothly. I think this is going to be just fine.

1 comment:

B said...

Ah man I haven't done the Hokie Pokie since grade school! Time to make a visit to the roller staking rink! :) Glad she is enjoing school so far.