I like to cook. I think I have significantly improved in this area since getting married and becoming a full-time mother/housekeeper/chef/chauffeur/laundress/maid etc. I get recipes from Cooks Illustrated, Simply Recipes, Pioneer Woman, and Food Network (but even there I am careful about the chefs I choose). I don't like food that comes out of boxes, cans, or the freezer section (except frozen peas and canned tomatoes.) This week I even made homemade goat cheese eggplant ravioli. Homemade. RAVIOLI. I sauted. I blended. I rolled out dough. It was a masterpiece. I need to share this recipe sometime because it was insanely good.
Please understand. I am not trying to brag. I am trying to set up my problem. Let's just say it isn't caused by an over exposure to Hamburger Helper.
My kids hate my food. They like calzones, pizza, spaghetti, Kraft Mac and Cheese and frozen ravioli. Umm. Yup, that is it. Every other food is a battle. Battle. I have complained about this before but tonight hit a new low. It actually began last night. I made Corn Chowder. Homemade, from scratch. I will actually admit that I would make some improvements to this recipe if I make it again but it was still pretty darn good.
My daughters thought I was trying to poison them. They each took the required one bite and then had to eat the goldfish off of the top of the soup. This still took enough time that some fish were soggy and HAD to be replaced so the world could keep turning. And then they filled up on bread.
Tonight it was homemade mac and cheese. I did add some ham and peas but I (naively) thought they could just push these items aside if they weren't seduced by the fact they were covered in cheese! No going. Abbie started crying the minute the food touched the plate. When I told her she had to eat 30 bites the world started to end. (It is pasta and cheese. Seriously?) So she took the next 45 minutes scraping the cheese of of each piece of macaroni before she ate it, and was able to pronounce it not too bad if you did that.
Savannah?
Savannah, just threw-up all over herself after bite two. (Trust me when I say that she is perfectly healthy.)
I have won some battles in this picky eater war. (They actually liked the ravioli.) But tonight was not one of them.
3 comments:
I am so sorry! You can come share any food with me and I will be a great eater! Hopefully they will grow out of it. :)
Will you hate me forever if I tell you this made me laugh out loud?
Because of course it didn't. Not even a little bit.
Hopefully one day they'll decide food isn't of the devil. My brother eventually did. Of course, he was 15.
I'm not helping, am I?
My almost-6-year-old still pees her pants. Feel better?
i laughed out loud when i read this! i love that S threw up! that is hilarious! but only because i can imagine how it all went down. what an awesome post!
Post a Comment