I think I am a fun person. I know how to have a good time. I think I am fun mom. We go to the park, the zoo, the library, we make cookies. We are a fun lovin' house. But this weekend reminded me what fun is. I got to spend the entire weekend just with Russ in St. George for our anniversary. (Thanks Mom and Dad! The girls have told me that we need to leave again just so they can stay with you.) I would have been fine just relaxing around, waking up when I chose, and having uninterrupted conversation with my husband. (Okay so my definition of fun is starting to sound more and more boring.) But thankfully we did that and much, much more.
After arriving on Thursday night, we woke up Friday and hiked Angels' Landing in Zions National Park. The hike itself was beautiful, reasonably challenging, and provided wonderful views. It is a fairly normal, almost tame hike for the first two miles and then the last mile is almost literally straight up with shear drops on both sides. While it triggered a bit of my acrophobia it was well worth it. However what topped off the experience was a gentleman who brought his flute on the trail. Every so often beautiful melodies would come floating through the canyon complimenting the scenery. It has become my new "happy place" memory to escape to when my world is chaos.
Saturday we kept going with a bike ride up Snow Canyon. Snow Canyon may only be seven miles but the last one made me alternatively want to cry like a baby and swear like a sailor. However after the summit was reached we enjoyed a heart stopping ride along the road on a bike trail that almost exactly replicates a roller coaster. It is the only reward worth making the excruciating climb.
And Sunday we rested....while sitting atop a red sandstone mesa over looking St. George and talked for two hours straight. No one interrupted us. Neither of us fell asleep from exhaustion. No phones ran. No one went to meetings. It was heavenly.
Monday we were back and moving back in Zions. We decided to bike through the canyon. The ride is fairly leisurely and the views provide the only way to really see the expanse of canyon that is truly breathtaking. Next time we will probably only bike through the canyon as it really is so impressive.
Today we are home. Back to rain and work. It is a good thing we love our kids so much.
PS - Tonight is a new recipe for Spaghetti and Meatballs...MMMmmmmm!






6 comments:
Glad you enjoyed my stomping grounds. I loved that Zion was my backyard growing up. Doesn't get much better than that!
happy anniversary!!!!
sounds like such a fun trip. I could use one of those!
Looks like you had a wonderful time. Happy early anniversary!
I'm glad you had a great anniversary! Looked gorgeous there.
My kids just reminded me the other day how boring I am.
How beautiful! Sounds like a perfect weekend!! Happy Anniversary!
Post a Comment