We've had a bit of stress in our home the last few weeks, and despite some Lemon Glazed Cookie redemption from my bloody chicken nightmare, Russ and I both needed a break. So last night I decided to surprise him and pick him up from work a few minutes early, take him to dinner and go up to Park City for an evening off.
I called his dad and step-mom and got them to babysit and my plans were complete.
We had one slight hiccup however - we needed to borrow Russ's dad's truck to do some home repair moving today. No apparent problem. But Russ helpfully offered to call and work everything out with his dad. Unfortunately I didn't know whether or not his dad knew that his babysitting job was a secret from Russ. I was terrified he would mention something during the phone call. I tried to get a hold of Lee but no luck.
"Russ, let's just use my dad's truck. I think it can carry the girls. It will be easier. I'll just take care of it." Thankfully he didn't know that my parents were out of town and unable to offer a truck so the fib worked perfectly.
I drove downtown just ten minutes before Russ got off work feeling quite smug in my perfectly executed ambush when I got a phone call.
"Emily, where are you?"
"Downtown where are you?"
"Home. I got off work early and went to get a video for us to watch tonight."
"Oh."
Needless to say Russ rushed back downtown where we had an amazing dinner at nook called Eva (Reasonably priced and FAN.TAS.TIC!) and then made it to Park City in time to realize that the art gallery was closed. We still wandered around chatted and had a great time. Still, I'll have to be less cunning in my deceptions next time.
4 comments:
How fun! I am glad that you were able to have a date night. You deserved it.
I didn't realize how long it had been since I'd visited the blogs. Emily, I'm so impressed with willingness to try new recipes. Not only willing try but try ones that I would consider hard. The pictures of the girls are good. I love Abbie's serious face and Savannah' smile.
I always get SO nervous when I try to surprise someone cuz I'm afraid they veer from their normal routine and foul up my plans. I'm glad it's not just me!
And completely unrelated: About your table, I don't enjoy sanding large projects like that but I'd be happy to stain or finish it for you once it's been sanded. Is it a big table?
It's the tought that counts! :)
Post a Comment