Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Double Vanilla

Let me start by asking a question...other than ice cream have you ever had something vanilla flavored? Not with a little vanilla in it - we've all had that - but where the sole flavor you should experience is rich, creamy, decedent vanilla.


Until a few days ago I hadn't.

This is the story. My sister-in-law introduced me to Stephanie Nielson's blog and video  After crying through the video, I went back and have read over a year's worth of blog entries that have caused every emotion on the spectrum but most of all awe, at what an amazing woman, mother and wife Stephanie is.

Please at least take a peak I promise you will not regret it....but come back because trust me you want this recipe. Along her journey of healing Stephanie mentioned Double Vanilla cupcakes that she was using to add more junk to a desperately empty trunk. At the time I thought..."Odd, why would anyone obsess over something other than deep rich chocolate." And I let it pass.

The on Mother's Day Russ cracked open the New Best to make me the most amazing French Toast I've ever had, and while the recipe doesn't specify Vanilla French Toast - the two tsp of vanilla richly infused every bite. From that moment on I thought of Stephanie's Double Vanilla Cupcakes.

Yesterday (note Tuesday, so only two days after the first hit) I caved and googled Double Vanilla Cupcake recipe and got this...
          
I am a convert. I would never, never guess that anything could compare with chocolate as the best flavor on the planet but I might even say this takes the cake (pun intended).  All I can say is try it. I didn't even use vanilla beans, just extract and W.O.W. depth of flavor, almost nuanced that has forced, I mean forced, me to eat three just today. Some things can not be helped.

Please try it. And then run a marathon.

5 comments:

B said...

I am a vanilla snob. I get a years (or more) supply of vanilla extract from Mexico every time I go because it doesn't get more pure than Mexican vanilla.

I will give you a little secret . . . don't buy whip cream from the store, make your own and add about 2 teaspoons of vanilla to it. You will never buy your whip cream again.

Now I want something with vanilla! :)

Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

I have always felt the same as you...until I got pregnant a couple months ago. I rarely crave chocolate now. Weird, huh? Those cupcakes sound so delightful. I better not make them......

The Woolf Pack said...

Seeing as I don't need any help adding junk to my trunk, I will try them anyway. I have always loved the flavor of vanilla, so these sound spectacular.

Lindsay said...

I'm a huge vanilla fan! Whenever I make French Toast (like for breakfast TODAY!!) I always add vanilla to the egg/milk. I add cinnamon too...

Can't wait to try these!

Thanks

Erin:) said...

i haven't tried the vanilla, im not a any sort of wonderful in the kitchen, though i did however look at her blog, & at that video...WOW. no words can describe. thank you emily.