The last 24 hours are enough to make me want to give up cooking forever. Oh wait, I am responsible for feeding my family. Sigh.
Last night I had planned a lovely dinner. Garlic Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Au Jus. I started at 3:30 ( Yes 3:30!!) I brinned the chicken with 11/2 quarts of water 1/2 cup salt 10 cloves of crushed garlic and 1 sprig of fresh rosemary -- for an HOUR, yes an hour. During this hour we walked/rode out bike to the park only to turn around 5 minutes after we got there because Abbie forgot to go potty before we left. At the end of the hour the chicken was rubbed with a garlic rosemary paste under the skin, and it all went into a 450 degree oven.
Fifteen minutes later 10 cloves of garlic were added to the pan. Fifteen minutes after that the chicken was rotated breast side up and the chicken broth was added to the pan. Thirty minutes later it was supposed to be done. Blood ran throughout the pan. I baked for 20 minutes and checked. It looked good until I cut into a thigh - more blood. Fifteen minutes later the thigh was good and I started to carve the chicken - blood burst out of the breast. One and a half hours after the chicken was supposed to be done the juices ran clear but the breast meat was dry.
What happened?!?
I don't think the chicken was too big, I had defrosted it in the fridge starting last Wednesday. Anyone please?
Then today I thought I would make my own mayo after discovering that the mayo in the fridge was completely out. I followed the recipe exactly and the mayo turned out yellow and runny. Again why? I used it because I needed something in the dinner I was making but I am worried about how it will turn out.
I had developed the clearly irrational belief that I had turned into a semi-decent cook. Now I just want to eat take out for the next ten years.
6 comments:
Don't worry about it, you are a great cook. Everyone has off days . . . even famous chefs. Remember the movie Julie and Julia . . . both had bad days and experiences. It happens.
i always love reading your blog just for the entertainment! Keep cooking
That stinks...just keep in mind how my asparagus with balsalmic turned out. :)
I actually think brining the chicken does something to it that makes it really, really juicy. I made the simple roast chicken that I think this recipe is a variation of on Sunday, brining it beforehand, and it was pretty bloody, but it was clear bloody (if that makes sense) and the meat was done. We ate it and nobody died, or even got a little bit sick. As long as the meat reaches the temperature it's supposed to, I've decided not to worry too much about the juices. "Until the juices are clear" is the indication for those of us who can't be bothered with a meat thermometer (which, until recently, was me.) So that really sucked, but try it again sometime, because it sounds really, really tasty.
Also, I've made my own mayo before and found it far superior to the mayo in a jar, but I can't remember what I did or didn't do that made it turn out okay. It was yellowish, though. Did you do it in the blender?
Better luck next time!
Allie how bloody was your chicken because this was pretty bad, inside right next to the meat.
And for the mayo I used a standing mixer.
oh my goodness, this totally happens to me all the time. some days I think "man, I am awesome!" and then others I have to apologize to the family and offer to make peanut butter and jelly. It's all part of the learning process! :O)
Post a Comment