Last night was just about as perfect a dinner as we could have - everyone loved it.
I started off with a fruit salad but for the topping I used sour cream with a little bit of brown sugar mixed it. The sour cream ups the richness factor considerably. It tasted like a dessert.
Then on to the burgers. I made these burgers (Remember the ones that turned Russ into a carnivore?) But made a fantastic alteration. Instead of stuffing the burgers with shredded cheddar we went blue and I'm not looking back. The Blue Cheese gets soft and creamy at such hot temperatures and - oh my. Bliss! Then in addition to all the standard toppings we added bacon. A nice homemade Blue Bacon burger with considerably less grease. MMMMMMMMmmmm. Excuse me while I swoon.
Then on to the new recipe...Oven Fries. Now when I think Oven Fries I think a weak attempt at roasted potatoes that doesn't really go with burgers or just about anything else, but thanks to the good ol' New Best Recipe (Have you bought it yet? Are you a convert? Really about $20 on Amazon!) there was some amazing success. Crisp crunchy fries that aren't very oily at all. These cooked up while I was preparing the burgers. And best of all - super easy.
Oven Fries
Serves 3-4
3 russet potatoes cut lengthwise into 10-12 even wedges (getting the wedges even is the most difficult part of this recipe.
5 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper
Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position; and heat to 475. Meanwhile (after peeled) place potatoes in a large bowl and cover with hot tap water; soak for ten minutes. Coat a cookies sheet (with sides) with 4 of the tablespoons of oil and sprinkle evenly with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
Drain and thoroughly dry potatoes. Then coat potatoes with remaining tablespoon of oil. Put the potatoes in a single layer on the cookie sheet and then cover tightly with foil and bake for 5 minutes. Remove foil and cointue to bake until the bottoms of the potatoes are golden 15-20 minutes. Using a metal spatua and tongs flip each wedge. Continue baking until the fries are golden and crisp 5 -15 minutes longer, rotation the pan as needed.
Remove from oven and drain off oil. Season more if needed.
2 comments:
Next time make the "fries" with yams. Yummy and sweet. Sounds delish!
The fries sound so good, I haven't found a recipe that makes them crunchy enough, so I am trying these!
I LOVE the family pictures. Your hair is getting so long and the girls look so grown-up, oh and so does Russ. :) You guys all look amazing.
Post a Comment