As I'm typing this Abbie is having a first class meltdown. So for all of you with kids over the age of 18 months you can smile smugly that we have finally reached the "twos" and all the joys that come with them. Honestly, overall Abbie is a great kid and very obedient but lately she has decided that everything in our home, our friends homes, and everywhere we go is "hers." When we are dealing with toys and other kids usually the concepts of sharing and taking turns will do the job. We've had a few meltdowns but not many.
But today she wanted to play with some of the nice family photos my parents had taken a few years ago. When I told her no we had a collapse. This episode is complicated by the fact that the rule in our house is the binki stays in the crib, which quickly became the focus of the tantrum.I want to believe - hope, pray, plead - that this is because she is catching up on sleep from earlier in the week, teething, or other such thing, and not that we have definitively entered an era of constant battles for independence.
I'm told that Abbie inherited the ability to scream nonstop and loose complete control of herself from her father - apparently the stories of him as a child were legendary. It is the first time I've seriously questioned my choice in spouse (I love you, Russ). Of course, I'm sure I was a complete saint as a child.......:).
So to all of you I'm sure you are just counting your blessings that you have not yet reached this stage, through it , figured out how to manage it better than I, or - at a minimum - not dealing with a screaming child while online
6 comments:
Oh, those were the days. Russ was legendary for sure. The good thing about this is it's a good sign that they are trying to be independent. When one might think to worry is if they never go through a similar stage. I learned that way after the twos. Actually it was when the kids were in their teens. Of, course, the stage is similar then, too. My sympathy, empathy, everything, is with you. Doesn't help to be pregnant on top of it all. : )
Don't you wish we could throw ourselves down and have tantrums when things didn't go exactly the way we wanted or we were tired or just because we felt like it, too? Seriously, though, never feel like Abbie is the only one--my kids are professionals. If any one has figured out a good, sure-fire way to deal with it, I would love to hear it too!
Hey lets not forget that my two year old is yelling at Mark & I that we are not her parents, and that we are not nice to her!! Usually it only takes us telling her it's bedtime or to stop punching her brother to set her off. The nice thing is that they always have a calm after, before, sometimes during the storm, but at least there is a calm, right?
I am sure it is all from Russ's genetics. How could you have ever created a problem? Jeremy was the same way except he would his breath until he passed out (maybe that is why they are such good friends?)! His mom said that he was her hardest kid and he has 11 siblings! And I wasn't much better. Adopting, and not passing on those genes is not a bad thing, so much! Hopefully our little Eme does out do us both! Every once in a while she lets us know she is mad and it scares me for the future!
Sorry to say it Em, but three is worse than two... Two is very easy at the Hoskins' house, but three is when my kids start having melt downs! Hopefully this won't be the case for you.
Every age and stage has it's complications. My almost 6-year-old tells us we're ruining her life! Get ready for a life of raising a girl. ha ha.
Post a Comment