Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Diaper Pouch Returns

I've told you about Abbie's use of her diaper for storing hair clips and elastics but yesterday she found an entirely new and innovative use for this convenient storage area. We were at the park when I noticed that she was taking handfuls of sand and sticking them down the front of her shirt. I called her over so I could brush the sand out and explain that we don't put sand down the front of our shirts. (An important life lesson for all.) She walked, somewhat awkwardly, to me.

When I looked down the front of her shirt I saw into the front of her diaper and there sat a rock, roughly the size of a matchbox car! When I pulled it out I noticed a handful of other tiny pebbles along with the sand. She had filled her diaper with rocks and sand!

The thing I don't understand is what exactly is appealing about rocks in the diaper? Why do you even start such an experiment? And once you've started feel the discomfort, why do you continue with larger and larger rocks? Do you think it will become more comfortable if you get enough in there? Is the discovery of untapped storage capacity so appealing that the discomfort is worth it? Are these rocks special or would any old rock be worth storing? Have I stunted scientific experimentation by asking Abbie not to put rocks in her diaper?

I - not being of a scientific turn- will probably never know....

8 comments:

The Woolf Pack said...

I guess it one of those things that as adults we forget why we did those things. Dakota did that & if Mackenzie wasn't so picky about everything she would probably do it to. I figure it must be the best way for a little one to hold on to treasures, since they haven't really discovered pockets.

Chelle and Aaron said...

I for one intend to pick up Abbie's experiment asap. I can't wait to go to the beach in my bathing suit and load up...

delagray said...

I love your way of telling of this event. Too bad Abbie can't explain the wisdom of her ways. It is a fact of life that things can be painful. Guess she's trying to get a feel of that in her early years. Scientific experimentation is good, but I'm not sure this is one that should be incouraged. You must admit that she is resourceful.

delagray said...

I love your way of telling of this event. Too bad Abbie can't explain the wisdom of her ways. It is a fact of life that things can be painful. Guess she's trying to get a feel of that in her early years. Scientific experimentation is good, but I'm not sure this is one that should be incouraged. You must admit that she is resourceful.

Titus Family said...

This is such a great kid story! It never ceases to amaze me what they come up with! Fortunately, Sam loves pockets so I just have to make sure I check them before the wash.

Allison said...

Ellie has been doing this recently with her Hot Wheels car. The only difference is there's no diaper, just underpants. When I asked her why she was putting the car in there she said, "It's my pouch." I immediately thought of Abbie. Maybe we should keep these two apart.

Kelseybob said...

She is so funny! Maybe you need to give her a little bag to put stuff in. ;)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that my kids can't read yet because if they read this they totally would be trying it! Yeah, a new use for rocks!