Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fun Weekend







So I'm a little late in blogging it, but last weekend we had a blast. We spent some time at Bear Lake and had a much needed vacation from the four walls of our home. I like our house just fine, but every now and then I get claustrophobic being home so much. We spent some time hiking Saturday morning. Abbie was so excited and kept talking about hiking in the mountains. Of course, one-year-old speed is not exactly conducive to getting anywhere so after we let her exhaust herself we put her in the kid pack and really got going. (As much as I can seven months pregnant.) We love the mountains and even though there were large patches of snow to cross and not much foliage we were glad to be out in it.

After a very short nap we went down to the lake. What a blast! It took Abbie a little bit of time to warm up to the water. But we found a nice tiny inlet where the water had heated up to lukewarm and soon she was splashing away and filling her bucket with wet sand. We didn't bring a swimming suit because we thought it would be too cold to really get wet, so of course she soaked her clothes. I think that a prerequisite of fun for children is to make as big a mess of oneself as possible. We didn't mind though as that is what we came for (the fun not the mess). I figure a little dirt never hurt anyone.

It was so nice to get away and relax and while we missed all the Gray cousins that had been invited we are very grateful that they didn't share their strep throat with us. We hope to do this with them all again sometime soon.

6 comments:

The Woolf Pack said...

Oh, Strep, it is going around up here, but thank goodness we haven't had it! Emily, you look great! Abbie is a doll, Mackenzie asked if that was her (mackenzie) in the pictures. We are hoping to come down there in a few weeks!

Kelseybob said...

Looks like you had so much fun. I think the fun is much better when the kids get dirty. It drives my mother-in-law crazy that I let my kids get dirty, but hey they are washable. ;)

Allison said...

I totally agree with you that the level of fun in a kid's eyes is directly proportionate to the level of messiness! Vicki still comes home from school covered in dirt and her teacher calls her Queen of the Mole People.

I wish we could have gone to the cabin with you!

delagray said...

I love Abbie's name for Savannah. Think it will stick? I guess that' where nicknames tend to come from. Abbie just gets cuter and cuter all of the time. I'm somewhat envious of your day at Bear Lake. I'm not glad you were there, but we'd love to be able to enjoy a beautiful day by the lake. It even looks a lot like summer. Gotta love the dirt!! Can't wait to see you!!

Heather said...

Oh, that does look like fun. What a trooper, going hiking 7 months pregnant! I gotta hand it to ya.

Ben and Lisa said...

I can't tell you how much we wish we could have gone. I'm ready to have our family professionally decontaminated--I swear that's what it's going to take to get us all better. I'm so glad you guys had fun!