Sunday, May 8, 2011

We Tried!!!

Yesterday we, as a family, did a Triathlon Sprint.

 A half mile swim, a 12 mile bike ride, and a 5k. Each individually is not that bad but as a whole, it is quite a workout.
This event was sponsored by my Dad and his 60th birthday, as nothing else would inspire my family to unite in such ambition. Even my brother's family up in Oregon was participating (In fact, one of the most impressive feats was the fact that my brother's awesome girlfriend, Mel, joined with us. I would never have done this for anyone but my own father so Mel was a real sport to even be willing to come.)

We met at Cottonwood Heights at 9:00 (the earliest they would reserve lanes). My dad beat everyone by completing his 18 laps, 36 lengths, in 20 minutes. At the end of the swim I felt good, invigorated. It was fun. Then it was off to my parents where we dropped off Abbie and Savannah repaired a flat tire and changed into bike gear. Then it was off to the Porter Rockwell Trail and ***** for the bike ride.

This is my brother Britton. Yes the mustache is real. Yes, it really is styled like that. Yes, he has a high level corporate job. I can't explain it either. 
(You can see Russ back stroking in the second lane, with my parents in the first lane.)
What can I say? I love biking and a 12 mile ride is like a stroll. That said I was a little surprised at how much the swim affected my legs. I was able to keep my speed to my pace, but I could feel the affects of the swim in my legs. The trail was beautiful and not crowded. Once you get up onto the benches you can see a view of Salt Lake Valley that is amazing. The only downside was this was when the weather decided to heat up.
Me ready to ride!

After the ride we dropped the bikes off at Draper Park with my sister (who had just removed a boot from an injury a week ago and couldn't participate) and were off on the run. My nemesis. Unfortunately, when I would practice for this event I always ran first (mostly to get it over with) and so wasn't used to practicing with already tired legs. Secondly, it was the warmest day of the year on Saturday and mid-afternoon by this point so I was hot. And, I left my water bottle back with the bikes.

 I kept to my interval training and did just what I planned. It was a lot harder on my body than it usually is but I was really proud of myself for pushing when I was feeling about dead. However, the best part of the day was seeing Russ running back down the trail with a bottle of water for me to finish the last 1/8th of a mile. I think I loved him more that minute than I ever had in my life.

My dad ready for the walk.
Blaine and Mel finishing the walk. 
Mom and Dad finishing the walk. Abbie decided to join them for the last few yards.
There was really only one minor irritation to the day. I have worked to train for this event. Mostly so I wouldn't be embarrassed in front of an incredibly fit family. Russ has not trained at all. He has ridden his bike to work a total of four times and gone on one - albeit crazy - canyon ride. He hasn't run in months. And he swam a few laps one time because I begged. That is it.

Russ kicked everyone's butt out of the water. By a lot.

In the swim Russ was only beat by my dad who have been swimming almost daily for months. He claims he hates swimming like I hate running. He wouldn't freestyle because the water in his face makes him claustrophobic. So be backstroked and finished 30 seconds after my dad and long before anyone else.

In the bike ride he was so fast my brother Britton (who also hadn't trained a bit and is still in incredible shape) couldn't find him at the end of the ride because he had already gone to change for the run. And although he was pretty beat by the run he finished just a few minutes after Britton, who had started about ten minutes before he did.

Genetics is just not fair.

Despite my being irked at my husband's physical genius we had a blast, we all felt pretty darn proud of ourselves for the accomplishment and  it was a great way to celebrate my dad's birthday!

3 comments:

B said...

Congrats! That is a fabulous accomplishment!

(I totally agree with the unfair genetics part.)

Allison said...

You're amazing! Great job!

I wish we could have been there to do it with you guys. Then I could have done the whole thing with Mel and we would have helped each other feel better about ourselves. Or she could have just cheated with me and done the IronKids distances - hey, Vicki needed company! I did walk the whole 5k, though (the IronKids for Vicki's age group was just 1 mile), but the swim (150 yds - 3 laps) about did me in. The bike distance was 4 miles, but we ended up doing 5 since the course we charted was 2.5 one-way. We had a blast up here, though, even the little girls, who just played in the pool and each ran one lap before collecting rocks that they plan to sell.

Sorry, this ended up being a really long comment! We miss you guys!

The Steeds said...

Good for you! I am totally impressed and I am not sure that I would have done that for my dad's birthday. YOu are a good daughter.