What is the advantage of tile and hardwood? The second you have to sweep or Swiffer almost daily, and the first you have to do what I have spent my morning doing, scrubbing the grout with every muscle in your arm to get it clean. Give me carpet any day.
I've been listening to the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes while cleaning this morning. They are more enjoyable in many aspects than I would have guessed, and much more enjoyable than a 1,000th relistening to The Magic Treehouse series which my girls love.
I had to stock up our household art supplies this week. With a six more weeks of winter predicted this week, we need more in-house entertainment to pull us through the homestretch.
I've been listening to interviews of the author of the new book, Cinderella Ate my Daughter, wherein she (the author) writes and researches on her concern of the over-sexualizing of young girls, and regarding princesses, the over-concern with girls of the need to be "fairest of them all". While I don't agree with everything I have heard, I am intrigued, and thing it is valuable reading for mothers of young girls. I have the book on hold at the library, and will let you know what I think.
The other day while the girls were napping I decided to lay down and take a nap myself. The house was a mess but I was exhausted and thought I would just clean it up afterward. Unfortunately, that is when our Relief Society president decided to drop by for a visit. No nap, and a horrific house. The fates are against me.
I switched the meat on the roast that I had made a few weeks ago to a less expensive cut. While still incredibly good, the more expensive meat was better. BLAST!
Savannah has started calling Abbie by her household nickname of "Abs". Abbie calls Savannah her (Savannah's) self-entitled name of Sannah. I find it all adorable.
I desperately wish we had more little kids that lived close by.


5 comments:
I am positive that Janice didn't think anything about it and I am even more positive that your house wasn't that dirty at all. :) Glad you are feeling better.
P.S. Where are the pictures of YOU jumping from the chair onto the couch?!
Hardwood and tile is so much prettier: but damage is so much more permanent and expensive, not even considering your previously mentioned cleaning frustrations. But we are a society who seems to value appearance above all (or almost all), which you also clearly pointed out by the research on little girls seeking to be the "fairest of them all." In China, that is taken quite literally and facials include face whitening. But where do we draw the line between acceptable concern for appearance (i.e. the cleanliness of one's home) and the unacceptable concern where it seems necessary to change skin color or go into debt to impress with nice things (i.e. overpriced updates to our homes).
We call our Abby Abs, too. :) Let me know what you think of the book...I'm also curious.
I am so with you on the hatred of all things not carpet these days. Our entire house is tile except for the bedrooms (thank goodness they are carpeted) and I loathe cleaning days. Sweeping and mopping are way worse than vacuuming. Supposedly I will love it come summer but I have my doubts. On another note, any great reads lately?
I wish we lived close by! I miss our Jordan Meadows playdates :(
Post a Comment