The plan was good. Go up to my grandparent's cabin at the lake with Russ's family for a long weekend of sledding and snowmobiling.
The digression was gradual. Up until a week before everything was a go.
Then Russ's brother and father both got slammed with different issues and had to bail. Thankfully though Russ's sister was still in. No problem.
Then two days before I took the car in for an oil change. "You have a coolant leak that needs immediate attention." So the day we are leaving we take the car to the shop. No problem. We weren't going to leave until Russ got off work that night anyway.
As I am rushing around getting things ready I realize that I have a the beginnings of a cold. No problem. I'll just take something and be fine.
Just as I am about to go pick up the car. (Two hours before ETD) Russ calls. The coolant leak is fixed but a pump is broken. (I was told a more detailed explanation but don't remember it now.) A $900,-you-can't-drive-your-car-until-we-fix-it-problem.
No problem. We can take Russ's car. Oh wait, the passenger seat belt doesn't work. Problem.
Finally we swapped Russ's car with my mom and were on our way. No problem.
Friday was fine. We went sledding a few times. (We = Abbie) Except that my cold had evolved from minor to major and moved to my sinuses. No problem.
As we were waiting for Russ's sister to come up so the cousin craziness could begin, we got a call. Her daughter had started throwing up 30 minutes into the drive, now had a raging fever, and wasn't showing any signs of getting better any time soon. No problem....for us. (Sorry Lisa, I feel so bad for you.)
Okay. Then that night between my cold that was making breathing impossible and Savannah who couldn't seem to get a good night's sleep, we were up about once an hour from about 1:00 on.
Saturday we did....not much. Only we decided that while the girls had still had the time of their lives, we were ready to sleep in our own beds and call it a trip.




3 comments:
Oh, I am so sorry. I hope that you are ok and that your car is ok now. Take care.
I hope that you are feeling better. The cold running amuck right now is not a fun one. Let me know if you need anything.
Oh, Emily! We've had "vacations" like that before. I'm so sorry! At least the kids had fun.
Post a Comment