How many of you have a problem getting your kids to eat green beans?
How many of you have a problem getting a spouse/boyfriend/roommate/ to eat green beans? (If you are trying to get your roommate to eat green beans then you really have control issues which is a post for another day.)
How many of you have a problem getting yourself to eat green beans?
Well this recipe will solve two of the three problems. (My kids hated this dish. Now that isn't saying anything, because they hate everything. Why is this? I have tried everything I've ever heard of to break this but nothing works. The current -- and most longstanding -- rule is that they have to try a bite of everything and unless they eat a "very good job" there is no food after dinner time. I can't tell you the number of nights they go to bed hungry. AAAuuuggghh!!!)
Whoa, tangent, refocus.
Green Beans. They are in season right now and super cheap. I bought some without any real plan on how to cook them so when they were added last minute to tonight's menu of paninis and......green beans, I found this recipe and went to town. (From New Best Recipe...of course. By the way my sister-in-law's friend says this cookbook saved their marriage. I'm just sayin'.)
The author touts this recipe as an 11th-hour quick fix. For the most part I agree. This is a pretty fast easy addition to a meal, that with a few tweaks I had most of the ingredients for in my kitchen. The best part -- all green beans were eaten. I had at least three servings of these veggies and Russ about the same. Of course they are not fat free but really considering the star ingredient I still count them as pretty darn healthy. (Oh, and I halved this recipe because I wasn't going to make something that served 8 for just Russ and I..)
Garlic-Lemon Green Beans with Toasted Bread Crumbs
2 slices of bread
3 tbsp butter, divided
salt and pepper
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
6 cloves of garlic pressed
2 tsp flour
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp minced fresh thyme (Oh the day when I just have fresh herbs lying around my kitchen. I used dried, probably to the recipe's detriment.)
1 1/2 lbs green beans, ends trimmed
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp lemon juice
Process the bread in a food processor until fine crumbs. On medium-high high heat 1 tbsp butter, when melted add bread crumbs and cook until golden about 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan, add cheese, and set aside. On medium heat add the rest of the butter, garlic, and salt.When garlic is golden add flour and red pepper, then toss in green beans. Then add the chicken broth, cover and increase to medium high heat. Cook four minutes. Remove lid and cook for another four while the broth thickens. When beans are tender remove from heat and add lemon juice. Put on serving platter and top with bread crumbs.
1 comment:
Yum! Green beans are actually one of my favorite veggies. Mom never had to ask me twice if I wanted more.
Post a Comment