Thursday, September 9, 2010
Lion King
If you haven't been to my house -- or more precisely my car - lately you wouldn't know that we are big Lion King fans. By we, I mean Abbie and Savannah. We (meaning me, Abbie, and Savannah) listen to the sound track almost every time we are in the car. I could sing the entire thing verbatim off the top of my head. But you really wouldn't want that. Trust me. We are on a short diversion to The Magic Treehouse that I can only hope will last until they turn eight and ten respectively.
So when my family invited me to the Broadway show of Lion King I wasn't as excited as I know I should have been. I had seen it before years ago in London. While I loved it, I was worried that it just wouldn't hold the same power after experiencing the above-mentioned over-dose for the last eight months.
Boy was I wrong.
While the plot, some of the music, and much of the script to Lion King the Musical is the same as the movie, the experience is so much better. It would be like comparing a Twinkie to Creme Brulee or Twilight to Pride and Prejudice. One is fits the bill but the other knocks it out of the park. (Yes, Twi-hards it is true Pride and Prejudice is a classic in every sense of the word.)
I will just mention two features. One, the dancing. I was amazed to see people convincingly be a cheatah, giraffee, hynea, a lion, and a bird. All I could think of is that they must have just watched these animals for hours to immitate their movements and then turn that immitation into a graceful dance. These talents are so far removed from my abilities that I am in complete awe as I watched.
Number two - the costumes. They hit the perfect balance of convincingly portraying the animals, while adding some awesome artistic flare and originality.
Note - I haven't mentioned the music but trust me it really is incredible.
I will mention something unrelated to the show that was probably my favorite part of the evening. After we had arrived to our seats I looked behind me to see a dad walking up the stairs with his three little girls. The dad was all dress up in his suit and the little girls where in what looked like their best dresses. It was just the four of them. Their dad had taken them all on a date!! It was so touching to see this dad taking his girls out to a show for what was obviously a very big deal for them. I love looking around and seeing such goodness in people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I'm so jealous! We should never have moved. First you guys get to see Wicked, then Lion King! No fair!
But, all whining aside, I have heard it's an amazing show, and as Lion King-ed out as I am here, too, I'm sure I'd love it. One day...one day.
Green with envy. Enough said. Glad I was able to catch you at home today. I was happy to talk with you on the phone. Best of luck with the house.
Post a Comment