Thursday, January 28, 2010

Home Made Blueberry Muffins

Right now I am supposed to be preparing for my lecture tonight on the Constitution.

Instead I am blogging.

I had no idea teachers put off preparing as much as I put off doing homework.

Now you know.

On Monday I made fresh blueberry muffins. Now despite what the recipe claims I think it is impossible to make a bad blueberry muffin. You can make muffins that are less good than others - the ones with the dried blueberries in the mix come to mind - but they are not bad. What I didn't realize is that it is possible for me in my tiny, cramped kitchen with loads of three-year-old interruptions help to make AMAZING blueberry muffins. This was a joyous day for me. And for Russ - who loves blueberry muffins. Who doesn't?

Secret #1 Sour Cream. Sour cream is used in a lot of quick breads - and in this case muffins. It helps add moisture. That is all I know. But using sour cream rather than plain yogurt also adds a great flavor that works really well with.....

Secret #2 Fresh Blueberries. We live in a part of the country where fresh blueberries are not..inexpensive. However it is well worth the splurge to use them instead of frozen, canned, or blueberries from a ...mix. (FOOD DOES NOT COME IN BOXES. Except mac and cheese, that my kids eat. It is my not-so-secret shame.)

Secret #3 Easy Topping. Cinnamon Sugar. Dip the muffin top in butter. Then cinnamon sugar - bingo.

The muffins are long gone. I think they made it 48 hours but I'm not sure. But their memory lives on in our happy hearts and jiggly thighs.

7 comments:

Allison said...

Oh, man, I really need to make these. I remember looking at the recipe and laughing at the descriptions of failed muffins. If I remember right, they were horrified by blueberry muffins from a box, particularly the ones with artificial blueberries.

Your blog is making me hungry.

Heather said...

I absolutely LOVE blueberry muffins. Even the ones from a mix! I'd love to try your recipe with the sour cream, though. I've made several sweets with it. My sugar cookies come to mind.
Anyway, I think this recipe would work well for my muffin-topper pan. :)

Bev Tate said...

so are you the new julia with all this cooking!make me want to go and cook something yummy.

B said...

Yum! Blueberry muffins. I haven't had those for a really long time. Maybe that will become dinner tonight. Blueberry muffins and a huge glass of milk! Doesn't get much better than that.

Lindsay said...

At the risk of sounding a bit like a stalker (which I hope I don't come accross as), is this Emily Ebert who grew up on Lafayette Street? If so, then you'll remember me, Lindsay Ripplinger. Let me know if I found the right Emily! Thx...
Lindsay linrip@msn.com

The Woolf Pack said...

Actually, mine would be my jiggly bum (according to my children). Those blueberry muffins sound FANTASTIC! If we are up that way soon, can I request those? Do you take request? :)

delagray said...

Makes me hungry thinking of those muffins.
I haven't checked the blogs since before Christmas. It was fun to see what's been happening in your life. The pictures, of course, always bring warm and happy feelings.
Speaking of the Constitution - I am reading Cleon Skousen's "The 5000 Year Leap". Have you read it? It is so readable- he's a clear thinker. Amazing book to my way of thinking