Friday, January 8, 2010

Julie & Julia

About a week before Christmas I borrowed my friend's copy of Julie and Julia.


I still have it (sorry Brenda).
I have watched it three times.
I have also watched all of the special features, minus commentary.


What does this say about this movie and about me? First, the movie is wonderful! Meryl Streep is such a strong woman and amazing actor that she portrays Julia Child spot on. Amy Adams is just adorable. And there is delicious food, lots of it everywhere, in almost every scene. It is about two women who love food, and love creating it. It is about romance but even more than just romance it is about how really great food helps us to connect with those around us. It creates shared moments in time where we pause from our lives and savor together....Okay maybe the move isn't about that exactly, but I do believe that food does this and it tastes good.

What does the fact that I've watched this movie three times in the last three weeks say about me?

1. I am being irresponsible with my very limited free time - possibly.
2. I am trying to live vicariously through these characters that are able to focus so much of there lives on cooking uninterrupted - probably.
3.  I am plotting how every evening, I too can cook amazing dishes in the context of my own distraction but love filled life  to savor and enjoy - most definitely.

4 comments:

Allison said...

I still need to see this! It was playing in Target this morning and I was so tempted to stand there and watch, but Ellie didn't think we were supposed to watch the movies in the store.

Heather said...

I loved that movie, as well. I want to try her experiment someday! I think I love it, too, because I learned some cooking tips while I watched. :)

JennyLynn said...

I am so glad that we both have a love affair with food. I think I first realized this commonality in college: I was drooling over some chocolate pudding/peanut butter/cool whip/ graham cracker concoction we had made. I looked up and realized that you were drooling also. It was then that I knew I wasn't alone in the world. Thank you Emily.

The Woolf Pack said...

I have been meaning to watch that, so you have inspired me to finally just rent it!
I think we should be more inclined to really enjoy food, our society is more about "dieting". Maybe we would eat less if we really took the time to enjoy it!