Monday, January 25, 2010

Pesto

Thus far I have kept to my goal of making one new dish every week. Not so good about the blogging about it part. Last week I made pesto from scratch and served it over pasta. A few words about pesto from scratch. Fresh basil - $. Pine nuts - $$. I was surprised, and so was my wallet to learn that pine nuts were $7.00 for about a cup at Walmart. Walmart! The bastion of cheap food. But in order to keep to my goal I sucked it up and bought them.

While making the pesto I figured that I should at least try the pine nut. We don't eat nuts around hear much due to peanut allergies (Most nuts are all processed in the same factory which means I am also denied almonds, walnuts, pecans....do I sound deprived?) I mean at seven dollars they had better be good right? I waited until I toasted them and stuck one in my mouth. Well... they aren't bad but they sure aren't seven dollars good. Alas.

Thankfully pesto is very easy to make. Stick the basil, garlic, pine nuts, oil, salt, and pepper in the food processor. Add Parmesan cheese afterward.  I made the creamy version which added ricotta. Yum! The trick my cookbook suggested. Before adding the basil to the food processor bruise it with a meat tenderizer or rolling pin to bring out the flavor. I did it, but having no control group I can't say if it was better or worse than not doing it.

Overall I can say that I love pesto - on sandwiches. For whatever reason it just didn't fit my bill on pasta. I could have been the whole wheat pasta I am trying to switch to, or possibly that I didn't make very much but overall I think that I just like marinara or Alfredo sauce too much.Oh well....

This week (hopefully today!): Fresh Blueberry Muffins!

2 comments:

B said...

You are very ambitious! I love that you are doing this. If I had people to cook for it would be something that I would join in the fun with you.

Chelle and Aaron said...

I make the pesto without the pine nuts (since I am cheap) and I don't notice a difference. I also recently tried a fantastic recipe that used alfredo sauce and just a few Tbsp of pesto...soooo yummy. I will email it to you.