Okay so I just read a fantastic book that I would highly recommend to, well just about anyone. It is called, "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How my Mom Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less." by Terry Ryan. It is a memoir (don't let that turn you off if you prefer fiction, it reads like fiction.)
It is told from the author's eyes during the 1950s where she is the sixth of the ten children. Their father is an alcoholic who drinks away most of his paycheck. To help pay for food, clothes, and household items and repairs, their mother enters jingle contests. She is spunky optimistic and talented and starts to win - alot. She provides for most of the families needs for over ten years through her tireless efforts at writing jingles while she does the ironing.
I was SO impressed by the class of this women and how she dealt with such a difficult situation. She couldn't leave (not in the 1950s with ten kids and no drivers license), and doesn't complain she just makes an enjoyable challenge out of a very hard life. The book is far from cheesey or glossy over the challenges but very uplifting and hopeful.
If anyone has read it or reads it later, let me know what you think!
4 comments:
Wow - that's a long title! I am looking for a new book to read right now, so I'll have to look for that at the library. Thanks for the tip! I trust your judgement in books. There was another one that Kelsey reccommended to me that I might look for, too. It was "Letters to Emily" or something like that.
Thanks for the info Emily! I always like to hear about new books. I will give it a try and let you know what I think. Let me know about any other great books that you liked.
I'm trying to find a really good book to take to the hospital with me. Thanks for the suggestion. Tomorrow when it is just me and the kids are both in school I think I will go find it.
Alright, I ordered it. I always enjoy your endorsements. I"ll let you know what I think. Have you read "The Book Theif" yet? If not you have to.
Post a Comment