Monday, June 30, 2014

Summer Running

This summer I feel like I'm just running from one thing to the next. I'm trying to balance all of the fun activities that are available for my kids to do, and the all important skill of learning how to entertain yourself. Some days go better than others.

*****************
This morning on the way to Savannah's tennis class, Savannah and her friend were trying to tell one another funny stories. It is possible that the stories were funny when told to them, but so much is in how a story is told and five-almost-six-year-olds are still learning this concept.

Savannah began by telling a story about Nathan. Nathan had thought he heard a siren and become very excited. When it was determined that he hadn't. He, very sadly, went, "Wa-oo, wa-oo (the current construction of siren noises)."

No laughs were heard in the car.

Kate, Savannah's BFF, said, "I'm not trying to brag but I have a really, really funny story. Your story was funny, but this is really funny."

Here, Savannah interrupted and said, "If my story was funny, why didn't you laugh?"

Kate, "Savannah, my heart was laughing."

Savannah, "But your brain wasn't."

*****************

Abbie has turned into my questioner. She wants to know everything about everything. What parts of a car use electricity, what parts use gas? Why was my inside joke to Russ, funny? Why do you have to pick up toys that were played with on Sunday if Sunday is a day of rest? What are we buying at the store? Did I know in which chapter Book 5 of Harry Potter finally got interesting? (The name of the chapter, please.) What does baking soda do? What does baking powder do? Where is the Czech Republic? What is the most interesting animal in Australia?

And on.

 I want to love it. I want to love the burning desire to know, to understand, to explore the world around her.

 I'm working on it.

***************

This was a snapshot that was taken during our family picture taking session a few weeks ago. I'm really excited to get all of the rest of the pictures. Everyone looks so good!


**Please note Nathan's expression of complete disgust. This was one of the happier pictures taken of him that day.


No comments: