Last week Savannah graduated kindergarten! This year she has improved her reading and writing significantly. She was much loved in her class and while she is happy for summer I think had a great time this year. For kindergarten graduation her teacher had a talent show and bless her she let every kid have a strong and short time in the spot light. Savannah first wanted to display artwork, but that switched to reading a chapter of Junie B Jones (which is still a bit above her reading level) to..... playing the piano! This was my hope all along. She played a song she has been learning from Abbie's book and she did amazingly well. If she was nervous you couldn't tell.
Savannah and I like to play UNO together. The other day when I asked her to play I said, "You are my UNO buddy." She looked at me in disgust and replied. "I'm an UNO champion."
This year Abbie and Savannah have been performing and practicing in the school choir, but in the last couple of months, Savannah's interest has been waning and on the day of the performance she really didn't want to participate so Abbie represented the Gray family. The theme was Songs from the 70s and the kids did great. My favorite was hearing them sing an Abba medley but Abbie's was the finale where they all got candles to hold up in the dark auditorium while they sang, Listen to the Music. It was pretty cool, and Abbie did a fantastic job. She gets into the music and is a great performer.
(For some reason I can't get Abbie's video to upload.)
Lately Abbie has been obsessed with riddles. She loves to make up her own and ask them to people. Her latest, "Often in the winter, rarely in the summer, can take over buildings, but has a great fear,"..........The answer - Fire.
Because of all the performance craziness we went to the park for dinner one night. It helped the girls unwind, kept our kitchen cool (which is a challenge because our AC completely died and the entire unit needs to be replaced), and helped Russ and I relax with the kids.
As a welcome to summer treat for Savannah we took a quick trip to the zoo, and it turned out to be the opening day for the new giraffe and zebra exhibit. While there were a few more people than we would have liked we had a great time enjoying the fun and getting to see the new animals.
I'm a little nervous but mostly excited for the summer. While I love the time I get to myself when they are in school (and Nathan is down for a nap) I love hanging with my kids and we have a lot of fun activities planned. So....bring it on.







No comments:
Post a Comment