Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Fair

Bill Cosby says that parents  curse their children  I hope you have children who are just like you when you grow up. Well, the curse works.

As I child I wanted everything to be fair. It was parents' job to make it fair. What fair really meant is that everything needed to be exactly the same for all six of us kids, or at least get me what I wanted.  My parents saw things differently. In fact the refrain I remember most clearly from my childhood is, "Life's not fair and I'm here to teach you that."

It drove me crazy as a child.

Unfortunately, my parents cast the curse on me.

Abbie is a slow mover in the mornings. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a lot of time to get ready for school, and has to be out the door by 7:30. This morning her slow moving behavior meant she couldn't watch TV while I did her hair. This was just too much for her.

Abbie: (Throwing a massive fit, making herself more late than she already was for school.) It isn't fair. Kids have to listen to parents but parents don't have to listen* to kids!!


Me: Yup. That's the way it is.

Abbie: You want it to be unfair. You like it unfair!


Me: Yup.

I just hope the curse works for the next generation.

(*Please note that listen in this context does not mean, listen. It means to do what the other person wants. Because trust me, I heard every word she was saying.)

2 comments:

Ben and Lisa said...

Oh, Emily, I love your stories. This one is fantastic! I've had similar experiences with my kids but they never articulate the severity of my sins as succinctly as Abbie. Love it!

The Woolf Pack said...

I don't know how I missed this post before. Abbie and Mack have a lot in common, it's almost scary how much they are alike. :)