Friday, August 1, 2008

The Porcelain Throne

For the last 20 minutes I have taken two baby dolls potty, Abbie potty and have parried requests to take the bear and kitty potty. (Nothing actually happened on the potty in Abbie's case, but she was sure proud of herself.) While I would love to have a potty-trained daughter two and a half weeks after giving birth wasn't when I was planning on starting. I haven't read a thing on it - I'm busy reading stuff on day night reversal for infants - and would like to feel a little more normalized before we make a go of it - but alas Abbie has other ideas.

For now I just take her to the potty when she wants - which is becoming more frequent, struggle with how in the world to explain how to pee to someone, ( I still don't have a clue to do this and I'm afraid that Abbie thinks "peeing" is just sitting on the toilet) and try to encourage without making a big deal of it because I don't want to deal with it for a little while yet...Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, don't worry. She WILL get it. One thing you can do is let her watch you go potty - if you're comfortable. She's young and won't be traumatized for life. :) I know it seems like they'll never get some of these things. I remember being worried that sydney would never call milk by its proper name - she always called it "cup" and it drove me crazy!

Ben and Lisa said...

There is a book that Nicki and Jen told me about (I think it's called "How to Potty Train in One Day" or something like that). I read it when I was struggling with Cooper, but I was already past the point where you're supposed to start according to the book. Anyway, one of the big components in that book is having your kid "train" a doll that actually wets to use the potty. I know you can get the dolls that pee for like $10 at Walmart. You never know--it could work. By the way, that was very nice of Abbie to decide she wants to grow up now!

The Woolf Pack said...

Oh man, the fun begins. Mackenzie did what Abbie did and just decided one day to try. Just be patient, it may take a few months before she is really ready. It just depends, it is early. I let Mackenzie set the pace and once she went pee the first time in the potty the only thing left to deal with was how to go poop! Good Luck!

Allison said...

Ellie did the same thing about a year ago (so slightly younger than Abbie) and I just took her potty every time she said she needed to go, which was roughly 15 times a day. Unfortunately, at least in my experience, the potty training rarely fits in with the parents' plans as far as timing goes. If she's ready, don't keep her from it, but I would let her set the pace. She'll figure it out. The two things that worked the best for us were M&Ms and happy dances.

Oh, and one caution on the potty training in one day book...it's great if you only have the one kid, but you have to be able to devote the entire day to potty training, with as few interruptions as possible, so doing it while nursing a newborn is not really optimal. I never did it for that reason.

Sorry for the ultra long comment!

Kelseybob said...

I agree with Allison about the book... we could never use it because it was just to hard to find time that wasn't interrupted. We would put Sheldon on the potty and run the water in the sink and also get a little cup of warm water and pour on him... the sound and feeling helped him go the first couple of times, and then he knew what he was suppose to do when we put him on the potty.

jamieleighcall said...

All I have to say is "good luck." Potty training was not a very fun time in our house (with both kids!)

By the way, feel free to add us to your blog links. I already added you guys! How is it with two? It seems pretty overwhelming at first but I'm sure you will be a pro in no time.