Friday, February 8, 2008

Timeout





So time out is an interesting experience in our home. It doesn't happen too often - mostly when someone (not to name names) drops food on the floor deliberately or doesn't help with cleaning up her toys. Time out is standing in the corner. Amazingly Abbie knows exactly when she is supposed to go and usually walks over there just fine. This is where it gets interesting. She doesn't fight, yell or scream - most of the time. However sometimes she will sing, peak around the corner or just babble to herself. She seems like she actually enjoys the experience (which appears to limit the disciplinary value.)

However when it is over she runs cheerfully away from the corner, and if it is ever threatened she gets very upset and usually obeys...Go figure

6 comments:

The Woolf Pack said...

Seriously, those are two of the funniest pictures I have ever seen. I wish timeout was that efficient at our house. Mackenzie will flat out refuse and I end up chasing her all over the house, so I settle for a 30 second timeout. Dakota on the other hand will sit and complain to me the entire time about how I am no longer his friend because friends don't do that to each other! So it ends up being me that puts myself in timeout so that I don't lose it! I love it!!

Kelseybob said...

I love the timeouts at that stage... trust me they get a lot worse. :)

Heather said...

She has such a pleasant attitude, doesn't she? I wish our timeouts could go that smoothly. :)

Russ and Em said...

I'll add to what Emily wrote: Abbie seems to like the interesting acoustics of the corner. She makes all kinds of weird noises, almost as if she is trying to see what they'll sound like with the "corner acoustics." She sometimes makes quick little yelling sounds and then laughs, and does that over and over again. I took her to time out yesterday at church, and I had to walk away quickly holding in my laugh, so she didn't know how funny I thought she was. Needless to say, time out seems kind of pointless with her. Every method we've tried, although she hated it at first, ended up being fun for her. Although, I don't expect this "pleasantness" to last.

Ben and Lisa said...

Abbie is just plain old awesome! I love her attitude about stuff. I was honestly so shocked when you put her in time-out at our house and she just stood there with her nose against the wall!! She is so hilarious. She probably knows she's totally messin with you guys!

Allison said...

When we ask Ellie if she needs to go in time out she always says, "Yes!" Not so much a punishment here, either.