Monday, December 5, 2011

I thought the Mom was in Charge

Saturday Russ and I took the girls to buy Christmas gifts for each other. Just before we left there was a commercial for Pillow Pets on T.V. I think that Pillow Pets are extremely overpriced lame toys, but the girls have been begging for them for over a year.

Perfect! They could each buy a Pillow Pet for their sister and they would both be happy.

Unfortunately these gifts are not from Russ or I, they are from their sister so the experience did not go as planned. I was with Abbie. The first (and I was desperately hoping, only) place we stopped was in the kids bedding section that had a nice selection of Pillow Pets. But bedding sections are not nearly as exciting as toy sections and so after some very mild interest Abbie insisted that we head over to the toys, where is spent the next hour looking at almost every toy available. We had a close shave where Abbie insisted that her sister would love a Fur-Real Pet Dog, but unfortunately Santa had already thought this was an excellent gift and Santa doesn't like doing returns. Thankfully, I was able to distract her on to other toys. How did the Pillow Pet discussion go?

"Abbie I think Savannah would really like a Pillow Pet?"

"Yes, but what if she doesn't get me one?"

"That's okay, she might and if she doesn't you will still have gotten her a nice gift. I think she would really like it."

"Yeah, but I want to look at more toys."

Finally we found a gift that Savannah will love (not a Pillow Pet). That was definitely a gift from her sister (not her mother). Which is what it is supposed to be, dang it. Sigh.

How did Russ and Savannah fare?

Russ has never been in a toy aisle with a child before, much less a 3-year-old, not caged in a shopping cart. After she ran from toy to toy in every aisle in one store, she did the same thing in a second store before he wised up, and when she paused at a toy Abbie might actually be interested in, said it was time to go.

3 comments:

Allison said...

Let me tell you, it's sooooo much easier when you can just sit them down in front of amazon.com and go from there. Makes life that much easier for all parties involved :)

The Steeds said...

Pillow Pets, yeah, we have them. I am sure that my parents thought the same thing about Trolls when I NEEDED one too. :)

Needless to say, been there, done that and will not be taking our kids shopping this year. Power to you for being greater parents than us.

B said...

Does that mean that you now have to take Savannah out to get Abbie a present still? :) Good luck!!