Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Perfectionism: The Next Generation

Russ is a perfectionist. I am a perfectionist. Our kids are doomed. And I mean it. While there are many ways that being a perfectionist can benefit you (good grades, good work ethic, etc.), it often means putting unrealistic pressure on yourself and really not know how to deal with things don't work out..perfectly. It has been a learning process throughout our lives.

And now our kids have a double dose in their genes.

In Abbie's class they have dot sheets. They get to fill in dots when they are good. When the sheet is full they get a prize. They have pencils with "grippies" to help them learn how to hold a pencil properly. If they loose the "grippy" they have to throw out their dot sheet, and start over. 


Abbie lost her pencil with grippy right before she left school today.


She was crying when she came to the car. 


She has not yet told her teacher. 


We talked about problem solving ("Where is the last place you had it?").But I tried to focus on keeping things in perspective if she does need to tell her teacher she lost her pencil. ("It is just a bad day, it is frustrating but it will be okay. The world will not end. I promise."). 


When I asked her later if she was going to be okay talking to her teacher about it she just looked at me and said, "I'll see." 

3 comments:

Allison said...

Oh, Abbie. Good luck. Talk with Vicki - she's had 10 years to learn coping strategies for dealing with the fact that life doesn't always work out the way she wants it to.

The Woolf Pack said...

Those are never fun lessons to learn. Something like that happened to Mack her first week, so she can relate!

delagray said...

That's a hard thing. I so hate it when the littles one hurt. Guess it does develop character and problem solving skills which we want for them, but it still hurts to see them hurt.