Sunday, September 4, 2011

Fire!

Let me begin by saying that I have never fried anything. Not chicken, not fries, not donuts. Nothing. Russ hates fried foods and they aren't good for you so it just hasn't come up. But hey I've come a few yards since really learning to cook, how hard could it be?

Enter piles of zucchini.

I've made plenty of batches of zucchini bread. I've added zucchini to my sandwiches.  I could make zucchini soup but the girls will think I'm trying to poison them again, and well I do need to make those zucchini brownies...Anyway...

 I thought fried zucchini might be something the whole family would like. So Giada down at the Food Network hooked me up with a great recipe.

The problem was I read the recipe several days before I actually planned on making the zucchini so exact temperatures and times became a little fuzzy but it was pretty straight forward. Hot oil. Dip zucchini slices in flour, eggs then a mixture of bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, then fry. Easy Peasy.

So I (never having fried anything before, remember) turned the stove up to Hi poured the oil in a frying pan and put the lid on while I finished preparing the zucchini. It took a little longer than I thought to get all the zucchini prepped.

The flames that engulfed the pan when the lid came off were several feet in the air.*


*No kitchens or kitchen equipment were hurt in the progression of this story although there was temporary smoke damage to the kitchen. I refried some oil (after looking at times and temperatures) cooked the whole batch. And the girls still hated it. 

1 comment:

Becky said...

Oh man that had me laughing. They sound awesome though! Wish I could have tried them. For awhile there, my kids just kind of knew the drill to open doors and windows when I baked :)