Let me apprise you of our progress.
Savannah, as mentioned, is doing quite well. She is very willing to tell us when she needs to use the bathroom and rushes along to sit on the toilet. Many of you would say that after the first day this is progress indeed, and I agree.
Unfortunately, that is where the progress ends. While Savannah is more than happy to sit on the toilet, and runs there often when she feels the urge, she is terrified of actually using said facility for its designated purpose. At this point we run into one of two scenarios.
1. There is no real need and she sits happily on the toilet while I seek to entertain her...for an hour until the need arises.
2. She has the urge, sits, and rather than act on that urge, she immediately starts to cry that she is all done. When this happens I either let her leave, only to be called back to the project within a minute or so. (In one fifteen minute period, we did this about seven times. I counted. If only it lasted for just a fifteen minute period.)
1. There is no real need and she sits happily on the toilet while I seek to entertain her...for an hour until the need arises.
2. She has the urge, sits, and rather than act on that urge, she immediately starts to cry that she is all done. When this happens I either let her leave, only to be called back to the project within a minute or so. (In one fifteen minute period, we did this about seven times. I counted. If only it lasted for just a fifteen minute period.)
Or I ignore all the professional advise and make her sit there and encourage her to go, while she cries and screams that she can't. After about 5-10 minutes of this she will finally accomplish said purpose, be traumatized but happy and we begin again about an hour later.
So, while I am avoiding a pile of dirty laundry, I have yet to do a single activity without being interrupted every. single. minute. Out of the two options I guess I have the better one. I guess.

3 comments:
It's been sooooo long since we looked at the blogs, so, of course, we looked at all of your posts and enjoyed them all. You are so good at keeping up-to-date.
Oh, the potty training. I don't even want to think about it.
Oh dear. Good Luck. I feel 'sympathy exhaustion' right now.
I would take the million visits and fights at the bathroom than the messes and laundry any day! Good luck and hopefully she will catch on quickly so you can get back to a semi-normal life . . . cuz really is life EVER normal?!
Post a Comment