Sunday, July 11, 2010

Roast Chicken, & 4th of July Cake

 I have kept my goal of cooking a new recipe every week. Obviously I haven't done so well at blogging about it, but I'm trying to catch up. Here are the recipes I made the last few weeks.

Roast Chicken - New Best Recipes

Why didn't I know this was so dang easy? Oh yeah my last attempt with roast chicken was a complete disaster. This time I tried a basic roast chicken and WOW easy. Although I will say that now that the temperatures are in the 90s the thought of having an oven on for an hour in my house is very unappealing, this makes for a juicy chicken with little effort. I believe the turning every 15 minutes is supposed to rotate the juices like a rotisserie chicken. All I know is I've never had such juicy breast meat. Yum. I also like this dish because it is easy on the pocket book. (Yeah like any of us carry pocket books anymore.)


1 whole chicken 3 1/2 - 4 lbs rinsed and patted dry, giblets removed
2 tablespoons butter melted
Salt and Pepper

Place a shallow roasting pan in the oven and heat to 375. Brush the chicken with the butter and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the heated pan from the oven and set the chicken on an oiled v-rack. (I have no idea what this is so the alternative is to use balls of aluminum foil to keep the roasted chicken propped up on its side. Worked great!) Place the chicken wing-side up, roast 15 minutes. Rotated the chicken to the other wing side up. Roast 15 minutes. Then rotate the chicken breast-side up. Turn the oven to 450 degrees. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the breast registers 160 and in the thigh registers between 165-170 degrees 20-25 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board let rest 10 minutes. Carve and serve.

4th of July Cake - Barefoot Contessa

I got this recipe from the Pioneer Woman who got it from her Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. WOW! I've seen Contessa on TV but had no idea that her food tasted this good. This is an amazingly delicious cake that looks awesome. The only thing to remember is that don't buy raspberries too far in advance or they go moldy. I had to make a reverse flag with blue stripes and a red square because a lot of the raspberries molded. That said this sheet cake was devoured in one evening by my family up at Bear Lake. Finally, just remember that you are dividing the ingredients on a sheet cake so it isn't as unhealthy as it looks and there is fruit in it so of course it is healthy....right?

3 comments:

B said...

I will make that chicken even easier. I roast a whole chicken at 250 degrees for about 5-6 hours in a covered roasting pan. That's it and it comes out dripping with juice and delish! The trick is to add a bit of chicken stock at the bottom of the pan.

Pretty much I love food. I am making samon cakes with a yogurt caper dipping sauce. I will let you know how they turn out.

Allison said...

I have a remedy for the 90 degree weather when you still want a roast chicken. Yesterday we tried roasting a whole chicken on the grill. It was fabulous. We got the recipe/directions from New Best. Chris invented a spice rub because we didn't have all of the spices the recipe called for, but it was absolutely delicious.

And that cake...oh, that cake. I may have to bake one really, really soon. I know where I can get fresh raspberries for free right now, so, yeah. Mmmmm...

The Woolf Pack said...

Again, it sound delicious. Why aren't I ever there when you make these amazing meals?