Sunday, June 13, 2010

Weather or not!

This week the rain has been both a blessing and a curse. It has cursed my friend Brenda and I. Last year about this time we decided to go biking out by the Great Salt Lake. I had done the ride quite a few times in preparation for my bike race last year and really wanted to go with a friend. Here is what happened. Not good. This year we decided to attempt again.

  The weather - for those of you outside of Utah - has been akin to monsoon season but we thought we had a lucky break on Wednesday and decided to go for it. Within five minutes Brenda had a flat tire on her brand new road bike. Thinking we knew what we were doing we told one biker to keep going. Now I am convinced that eventually we could have changed that tire ourselves. (We got the tire off the bike and almost off the rim. ) However by that point we would be old, gray, and not biking, so we begged help from the next passer by. He did a slick job, in about 10 minutes. Thank you whomever you were.

The miracle at this point was that while the tire was being changed the storm we had been headed straight for decided to move north and gave us a clearing. We decided to take it. Unfortunately about five miles later storm number two reared its ugly head and we decided it was time to turn around. Just like last time we didn't get the full brunt of the storm until on our way back. Just like last time we were hit with rain from the side and soaked. But unlike last time it was a good deal warmer and we didn't get the first stages of hypothermia. Brenda -- I am determined to take you on that ride without rain interrupting our ride.

Friday the weather was a blessing. It was youth conference trek and we were pulling handcarts away from This is the Place Village up into the foothills. I would like to note here that while this trek is shorter than others have been on it was not flat. Nowhere was flat. Nothing. We were going straight up the mountain, baby. Friday was predicted to be quite stormy and remembering how cold I got in the rain last year I was not looking forward to getting soaked to the bone. Thankfully the storms stayed away for most of the day allowing us to pull handcarts in a cool 60 degrees and cloudy. We got rained on during testimony meeting and a little bit near the end but the storms didn't really come until we were in our cars headed home. Everyone had such an amazing experience I am so grateful that it turned out the way that it did. Had it been 90 degrees or pouring rain it could have been truly miserable, and even without that I am forever grateful I was not a pioneer.

3 comments:

The Steeds said...

Glad that you had a good experience with Youth Conference. Mike and I were worried-- but it worked out. PS- I liked your pioneer outfit. :) (Mike got pics of the trek. You looked authentic.)

B said...

I think that the weather is against us. If only it wouldn't be such electric storms I would be fine finishing and defying the wet pouring rain. I can take the water, it is the electricity that scares me! We will finish one of these days!! :)

delagray said...

Can't believe how crazy the weather is everywhere. When you mentioned the Trek, I was wondering why you were doing it so early in the year. Keep forgetting it's June.