It takes being so sick you don't see your kids for a few days to really miss them. Oh, you might miss them while you are on vacation without them but lets be honest you planned the vacation without them on purpose and while it reminds you that you love them you really don't want them with you at the moment. When you are sick however everything else looks like bliss and you realize that as challenging as parenting can be it is much easier without the continual desire to crawl under your covers and sleep yourself into the next decade. So on that mostly unrelated note here are some interesting things said by my children lately.
Abbie-isms
This first conversation was between Abbie and my mother while Russ and I were on vacation a few weeks ago.
Grandma E: Abbie you can pick out one toy at the store today.
A: Really?
Grandma E: Yeah.
A (in a shocked/conspiratorial tone): My mom doesn't buy me anything!
Grandma E: Yeah, moms are sometimes like that.
A: But not Grandmas!
The next story was between Russ and Abbie when he was putting her to bed while I was sick.
Russ: Abbie remember you promised you would eat a good dinner tomorrow. Will you remember that?
A: How will I remember? Oh, I know... I will use my mind. I have two minds. One mind that changes and one mind that remembers. I will use that mind.
Savannah-isms
Savannah loves to say prayers at our house. She loves it so much that if it is someone else's turn to say the prayer she will pray out loud in the background of the prayer. Sometimes she repeats what they say, sometimes she goes out on her own. This last Sunday at church Russ was a lone parent managing two girls. My friend took Abbie (thanks Brenda!) and left Russ and Savannah for the duration of the meeting. It is also relevant to note that as a holiday weekend there were not a lot of people there and Russ swears no other children. In an effort to get her to be quiet for just a moment during prayers, Russ would whisper, "Savannah, time for prayers!" But instead of simply folding her arms and ceasing to make noise, Savannah would start trying to say (somewhat loudly) each and every prayer throughout the meeting "thank thee dis Daaay, thank thee dis Daaay," etc. At first, Russ tried to explain to her that it was someone else's turn, but then she would start having a fit and crying in Savannah-speak: "I wanna Say it!". So thinking it was the lesser of two evils, he let her repeat the remainder of the prayers.
And just tonight Savannah developed her own knock knock joke (of which she is very proud).
Savannah - Knock, knock
Other person - Who's there?
S - (scanning the room)MMMmmmm Baby Lexi.
O - Baby Lexi who?
S - Knock knock?
O- Who's there?
S- (scanning the room) MMMMMmmmm Baby Lexi's diaper.
O-Baby Lexi's diaper who.
S - Knock knock.
O - Who's there?
S - (scanning the room) Orange.
O- Orange Who?
S - Knock, knock.
As you can see it still needs some work.


5 comments:
I wish I could have been at church for her prayers. That is funny. Mackenzie still tells knock knock jokes like that, they are the best!
Aha! That explains it! My kids must be using the mind that changes! They just need to switch over to the one that remembers and everything will be fine! Thanks, Abbie, I never would have figure it out without you!
I have to admit that I couldn't help but laugh through all the prayers in Sacrament on Sunday. It was so funny to hear her saying her own prayer. Love it! :)
I love the crazy/cute things kids say!! Such a fun post! PS- Glad you're feeling better!! :)
Your girls rock! I got quite the chuckle out of that post! I'm glad you are feeling better.
Post a Comment