If you decide to make this and live anywhere close to me, call me. I went to the ethnic food store for the spices and got tons and am happy to share. The Masala itself is good for a weeknight meal, just remember most of the preparation is the night before. It would take about 30-40 minutes the night of - but most of that is simmer time. I know it looks like a lot of ingredients but most of them are spices. It really is easier than it looks. I added naan bread, and rice pilaf which honestly was pushing it time wise. All together it took about an hour and a half and I was tired by the end. If you want to go all out, I would recommend a weekend or a special dinner otherwise I would just cook up some rice to serve with it.
Warning: I am not responsible for what happens as a result of eating this dish. Blissful shouts of joy, wild dancing on the table, and serious over-eating are all common side effects. Let me know if you end up making it. I feel like I just read the best book in the world and need to talk to someone about it -- it is that good.
Tikki Masala Melissa Falleroni
For the chicken you will need:
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 1/2 TB of ground cumin
- 1/2 TB of ground coriander
- 1/2 TB of chili powder
- 1/2 TB of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 TB of diced ginger (I just used one tsp of ground ginger.)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper ( I didn't add this because I don't like things that are very spicy.)
- 4 chicken thighs with the skin removed and cut into 1 inch dice. ( I used chicken breasts because that is what I had in the house and it was fine, although the thought of dark meat in this meal is very appealing. Hmmmmm.)
- Combine everything together but the chicken.
- Taste and if you are happy add in the chicken.
- Put in the fridge and let it relax overnight.
For the sauce you will need:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 TB of tomato paste
- 1/2 TB chili powder
- 1/2 TB garam masala
- 1 28 ounce can of tomatoes
- 1 cup of cream
What to do with the chicken after it has been marinated:
- Turn broiler to low
- Put chicken on broiler pan
- Throw broiler pan under broiler and broil until cooked through. (About 5-10 minutes.)
Steps for finishing up the dish including what to do with the sauce ingredients:
- In a large skillet (I used a wok) over medium melt the 2 TB of butter and add in the onions. Let this cook until the onions are softened and then add in the garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, and garam masala until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add in the can of tomatoes and simmer for 20 or so minutes or until the mixture is thickened.
- Add in the cup of cream along with the broiled chicken and cook until heated through.
- Taste and adjust (add in some more cayenne if you want a little spicier or maybe some more salt and pepper if needed).
Serve and enjoy!
6 comments:
I wish I lived closer to you. I do love someone who loves to read, cook and eat as much as I do. Can't wait to try this. Have you mastered Naan? I think I'm ready to try that too...mmm, makes me hungry just thinking about it.
Oh and that was from Michelle...didn't realize I was signed in under Aaron's email.
Yummy! I am super excited to try this. Thanks for sharing!
I know you emailed me this, but because of the broiler thing I didn't even look at the recipe. I actually have all these spices except for the garam masala, which I would have if I hadn't been an idiot and thrown it out when we moved here. My Indian friend gave me a whole package. Apparently spices in India don't come in little jars like they do here.
I am now super-motivated to do some reasearch into fixing our broiler without buying a whole new oven!
I just want to remind you that Mark is reading your blog & you are making me look bad! :) Alright, he has never said anything, but I'm sure he is thinking..."why the heck doesn't Jen try and cook something other than noodles or pizza? And the only reason I have the pizza dough recipe is from you.
Maybe I should quit being lazy and try some of these yummy sounding recipes. :)
I love chicken masala. Wendell has been wanting me to attempt it at home, so I'll have to try this recipe. I would really like to make the naan, too, because that's just so yummy. I hope it's not too hard.
thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment