Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Early Valentines

Several factors need to be taken into consideration for this story to make sense.

1. I am in charge of Valentine's Day this year.
2. This weekend we are going snowmobiling with my family, and are busy for the rest of this week.
3. I like to cook.

Last night we celebrated Valentine's Day with a surprise (to Russ) candle light dinner of some new recipes I've had stewing around in my brain. I am a big believer in food bringing people together so it worked out perfectly. At it was YUMMY! I got most of the menu from a friend of mine so I will share it here with you.

Artichoke Chicken (The name right there is a winner! Artichokes are heavenly.)

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts - fat trimmed and tenderized to even thickness
1 (14 oz) can Artichoke hearts - drained
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Pinch garlic salt
1 pinch black pepper

Preheat oven 375 degrees. In medium bowl mix together the artichoke, Parmesan, mayo, sour cream garlic salt and pepper. Season chicken with salt, pepper and seasonal. Place chicken in greased 8 x 8" baking dish and cover evenly with artichoke mixture. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.

Several notes:

1 - Artichoke hearts can be bought in a can like other vegetables for about $1.00 or they can be bought in a jar (same size) for about $3.00. I did not know this before fixing this meal. Curses!
2 - The recipe says 375 degrees, not 350. If you set the oven for 350 it will take an additional half hour to cook while you panic and hope it takes your husband extra long to get the kids in bed. For better or worse the girls had a little attitude and it did take them longer to go to bed.

Broiled Asparagus

This was the dish that stole the show and made me swoon. I got this recipe form the New Best Book and altered it slightly. Here is the alteration.

  1. Put about a cup of balsamic vinegar in a frying pan and bring to a boil. Once it gets to a boil reduce the heat until it simmers. Let simmer for about 18 minutes or until the vinegar reduces to a syrup consistency.
  2.  Put asparagus on baking sheet and season with salt pepper and olive oil.
  3.  Put oven rake on the top shelf in the oven.
  4.  Broil asparagus for 8-10 minutes.
  5. Put asparagus on platter and drizzle reduced vinegar. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Note - If you think you don't like asparagus, trust me you do. You just haven't tried this recipe yet. 

Finally Dessert!

Roasted Pears

2 (10 oz) cans of pears in syrup
1 lemon
3 pieces crystallized ginger (Thanks Brenda)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons softened butter
Vanilla Ice Cream

In baking dish put small cut pieces of butter evenly on the bottom of the dish. Pour out 3/4th of the juice from the pears and add in baking dish (pears should be wet, but not swimming in juice). Chop up crystallized ginger into small pieces. Evenly sprinkle lemon zest, crystallized ginger and nutmeg over the pears. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve over ice cream.

Note - I was worried about this dish because the nutmeg smelled too strong putting it in the oven but it was divine. Thanks to Russ who bought the ice cream while the chicken finished cooking we had high quality ice cream which also makes a difference.

I don't know if you will be making food for someone you love anytime soon, but I would highly recommend it. It is so fun to see them in awe with your creations!

3 comments:

The Woolf Pack said...

You have inspired me to cook this for Mark, hopefully I will stay inspired the whole week & actually go through with it on Saturday, (I know it is on Sunday, but we have a tradition to never celebrate on Valentine's Day).

JennyLynn said...

Yum! I am going to try these out!

B said...

I am glad that you enjoyed them. I completely fell in love with these dishes and now it has become one of my "regulars" on the menu. Have so much fun this weekend . . . you deserve a break!