Friday, February 26, 2010

Concern over Lemuel's eternal salvation

We read the scriptures with the girls at night. We use the children's version with the pictures which almost keeps the attention of a three-year-old and a one-year-old. Abbie has become obsesed with the bad guys, killing, and dying. In every panel she wants to know who is bad and who isn't. (Never mind that if she just listens she would catch on, but what do I know?) Whenever some one dies she wants to know who killed them and when they will be resurrected? She knows that the Lamanites are generally the bad guys and follows very closely when Laman and Lemuel vacillate between being nice and acting out in violent fits of murderous rage. 

Abbie is a very sensitive girl. And while sometimes I just plead for her to toughen up because life is hard and you can't allow ev -ery -thing to become a drama, I am grateful for her concern for others. I believe that the reason that she becomes so obsessed with all of the violence is because she genuinely cares for the people being harmed in the story. She wants to make sure that they will get resurrected.

For awhile I skirted over this issue. No one died they were just hurt. I wanted so much for my little girl's world to be sunshine, butterflies, rainbows and unicorns and cars, she loves cars. I am grateful she lives with me in the real world but the scriptures tend to deal with some gristly sides of that real world. Thankfully though I have realized I need to talk about hard things with my kids (even though they are young). I know there are plenty more difficult conversations to come and I want my girls to come to me for them. I don't think they will do that if they can tell it makes me uncomfortable. So as we explain Abinadi was killed or King Benjamin died (and that they will be resurrected) I hope I am making a home where my daughter can come to me with her concerns throughout her life.

6 comments:

Allison said...

Abbie is truly a sweetheart. Hopefully she'll toughen up a bit as she gets older, but maybe this way she'll have lots of empathy for others.

I'll definitely be doing a post about Ellie's obsession with Satan, but let's just say that she is very concerned about the choices people make and whether they're following Jesus or Satan. She's been preaching to our nonmember friends, and I think all the Satan talk has freaked out a few of them. Sigh. Kids.

Heather said...

she's so cute. we use the reader, as well, and one time Ethan got a little "ninja" guy from the Fun Park - that he bought with tickets - and was so excited to show me his "lamanite". lol.

delagray said...

Great picture. Tender is good. Hard but good.
I'm glad I didn't know about the bronchitis. When I saw the title of your blog, I was thinking it was Abbie so was surprised that it was Savannah.

B said...

I used to judge Leman and Lemuel, now not so much (after I realized how much I murmur). Abbie (at 3) is already ahead of the game.

Good for you for being honest with them even at a young age. I know that is why we always felt that we could go to my parents . . . we knew we would get the truth . . . the good, the bad and the ugly . . . but the truth. Keep it up, it will pay off.

The Woolf Pack said...

You are a great mom!

Mona said...

That is cute. Reading the BOM reader with a three year old has reminded me of how much war and voilence there is. How do you explain that to a three year old and try to point out the good parts? Everyone is fighting and dying?! Bridger wants to carry a sword and chop off arms thanks to Ammon. HUH....Bridger is facinated with death and the resurrection as well.