I have been trying to figure out for days how to rid our house of all of the Halloween candy that we have lying around. We have limit her to a few pieces a day, and while this limits sugar intake it means that without some intervention that candy will be here well past Easter. Candy has never been appealing to me but I feel like Abbie's teeth are rotting away by the minute. Each night I have taken and thrown away hand fulls of her candy but we have had a long way to go.
This morning I read this blog in which the mom gives her kids free reign on the candy for two days and then they give the rest of the candy to the Halloween Witch, and she leaves them a toy. Absolutely brilliant! I ran to Russ with the idea. Probably more practically he doesn't want to invent a fake charecter but said we should just give her a choice. Less fun but easier. So I tried it.
"Abbie do you want to give me all of your candy and then we will go by a car (note this is a toy car from the movie Cars although the other option might be appealing when she is 16)?"
"Yes"
She ran immediately over to her candy took one last piece and watched as I threw the rest in the garbage.
I feel like a success! I got rid of the cavity, hyper inducing candy and it only cost me $3.00 and no fits!
6 comments:
Halloween is a random holiday. Really we spend all that time going around collecting candy just to throw most of it out. It makes me smile. Anything for a bit of fun!
That is a great idea. I think that my mom used to throw all of our candy out a week or so after Halloween, but she was so great at it that we didn't even ever miss it. Or maybe we were so sick by then that we didn't care. :)
Happy birthday yesterday!
What a great idea, we will have to try it. Next year though, my kids already blew threw their candy. (We only went to a handful of houses though)
I've considered this ever since reading DYM's original post about it. But, like Russ, I can't bring myself to invent a new fictional character. We're struggling as it is with the ones we already know about. I used to ration out the candy, but this year I just let them have a free-for all. Ellie dumped hers out on the bedroom floor, and when I made her clean it up (after she'd consumed at least half of it) she just picked up "the good ones". So the rest went in a bag and has mysteriously disappeared. Lexi snarfed hers down in two days, and Vicki is a hoarder, so I always throw out a big bag of her candy sometime in August. So the two-day free-for-all seems to work out pretty well for us, and it doesn't cost me anything!
What a terrific idea!!!!
I just let my kids go hog wild. usually what ends up happening with the younger ones: they unwrap it, lick it or bite it, then set it on the counter and move on to another piece. At which point I go around collecting unfinished pieces of candy to throw away, and they feel like they're on top of the world. :O)
Wow! Much to MY dismay, we didn't end up with any candy. We had to give out the boys candy that they got to the trick-or-treaters that came here... we had ALOT more than we expected. We take Bridgers candy away from him anyway, when he earns a treat, he can pick one piece. It takes eons for it to be gone. I of course help remedy this situation, but I think we still have some Easter candy left...
Post a Comment