"Mom, can I have some tape."
As soon as my children see something they haven't seen in awhile (an hour) it becomes the most coveted item in the surrounding chaos of toys. I don't know what she would do with tape. I don't know why tape is fun. But I do know I really don't want to find pieces of tape randomly throughout my house for the next month.
"No, honey sorry."
"But mom, you need to share. We share things." My own words back to haunt me. I am often telling Abbie that it is important to share. If we want people to share with us we need to share with them. So on most occasions I am a big shiney cheerleader of sharing. Not today. I don't want the tape being played with, and now that I've said "No" any giving in on my part only proves that whining and manipulating work - not a message I like.
" Sorry honey, tape is not a toy and so we are not sharing it today."
"But mom remember, Jesus."
Now, I hope she doesn't figure this out in one try, but where whining and manipulating will not work, even religious guilt trips will not work but catching me off guard and making me laugh my head off, will.
5 comments:
That is so great! And in my head I can hear Abbie saying that! Wow. That is good.
She is one spunky girl, I love it!
That's a great line. I think I will use it on my husband, "But Chad remember... Jesus."
Don't you love it when they turn your teachings around on you?
Abbie and Ellie must be communicating in secret somehow, because Ellie does exactly the same thing to me all the time!
And trust me, you don't want her playing with the tape. I'm so tired of finding pieces of tape in my underwear after it's been stuck on someone's clothes and run through the wash. Hide it good.
Post a Comment