So, last Sunday I got a new calling. I've known about it for about a month now but I finally feel like I can blog about it. I am the new Young Women's President in our ward. I know what you are thinking, they must have been scraping the barrel with this call. I feel the same way.
I have had a lot of emotions running through me since the call. When I got the call I didn't even know most of the Young Women in the ward and considering Russ is still Elder's Quorom president I was feeling more than a little overwhelmed for myself and my family. Thankfully, I've now had a chance to meet most of the Young Women and they are incredibly nice and I have fun with them. I've been able to meet with my presidency, for whom I am extremely lucky to have. And Russ and I have developed a plan for how we will keep our family relatively sane. We hope.
But, here is where you come in..
What things did you like about Young Women's? What things did you hate? What were your favorite activities? If you have served in Young Women's before what advice do you have?
I can't promise to take your advice but I am definitely all ears.
I have been asking this a lot this week and have developed a few ideas of my own, but I would love to know what you think.
6 comments:
OH MY WORD!!!! Our lives run side by side a little too much! Hey we have so much alike but where is our second kid? J/K! I am VERY glad that Jer is just the 1st counselor in the Elders Quorum. You guys can just let us know about having two presidents in the house. There are a few websites out there that can be very helpful. A couple are sugardoodle.net and YWconnection.org (?). The first I use alot the second I just found out about so can't remember for sure if that is the address. LMK if it doesn't work. We need to get together soon and have a BBQ! I am sure we will have lots to talk about!
Congrats! You will be awesome. I don't have much to suggest...I've served in primary the past 6 years! They couldn't have picked a better person.
GOOD FOR YOU. ALL I CAN SAY IS RUN!! I'M CURRENTLY SERVING AS THE YW PRES TOO OF JUST OVER 30 YW. THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS YOU CAN'T DO EVERYTHING, YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE YOUR FOCUS AND YOUR BATTELS. THERE A DEFINATLY HIGHS AND LOWS. AND SOMETIMES NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO IT WILL NOT BE ENOUGH, THERE WILL BE GIRLS WHO CHOOSE TO NOT FOLLOW YOUR COUNCIL AND PARENTS WHOSE NECKS YOU WANT TO WRING. JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU LOOK AFTER YOURSELF SPIRITUALLY FIRST, YOU CAN'T FEED OTHERS IF YOUR HALF DEAD!! GOOD LUCK BEV
Em, I got called into young women's on our second sunday out here and I have loved it. I was the 2nd counselor and just got switched to the secretary (perfect with the new baby). There are some great online resources for activities/ideas. www.sugardoodle.net is one that I have used a lot.
Call me if you have any questions. You will be awesome!
I'm the 1st counselor and have been in the YW several times. I say good luck!!! We are a brand new ward right now and new presidency and still trying to figure everything out, but I think the biggest thing is to not try too hard. Just be genuine and keep things simple to keep your stress level down. Let the spirit guide you. Don't try too hard to be the "cool" leader, they won't respect you. And always be positive. That's my advice. :) You're going to be great! I'd also have to say my favorite leaders in YW were the ones who really could bring in the spirit and made me feel loved. And I'll second the website sugardoodle.net. I love that place. Although the church's website (lds.org) is awesome, too. congratulations!!! After the dust settles, I'm sure you'll love it!
Wow, Em. That is great. I agree the comments that are posted. I would say don't worry too much about things that you have no control over-- which is alot-- and focus on what you can control-- making Sundays and MIA the best that it can be. Smile alot, laugh at all the drama (not in front of them...but warning... there is even MORE drama than when we were YW) and try to have fun. My favorite YW leaders were spiritual, flexible, genuine and caring.
Post a Comment