However, one redeeming facet of Walmart is that they price match competitors adds. So, rather than traverse the valley getting the best deal I can take the adds to one store and get the best prices on what I am buying. Sadly I feel some small sense of vindication by paying less than they charge at such a horrible store. Yes, I realize this makes me a petty person.
Today I was trying to price match cereal. It was advertised for $1.50 at Smiths. Unfortunately by the time I got to the check out I was a little frazzled and ready to go. The checker asked me for the add, which I showed him and he proceeded to tell me that because a Fresh Values Card is required they don't match the price. I have price matched Fresh Values Card items weekly for the last year without a problem.
The Walmart website states in part, "Store managers make the final decision in always taking care of our customers, but we do have guidelines for matching our competition.
- We do honor "Preferred Shopping Card" advertised prices. Must be like items, be advertised and require a competitor's shopping card, for the discount to apply."
As I tried to explain this to him, his manager, and her manager I didn't stay, um....calm. I didn't raise my voice but I was clearly angry and was not very...polite.
Let me interject again. I am sure that working at Walmart is a crappy job. I am sure that if you were able to get a different job you would. I realize that this means that the individuals that work at Walmart are possibly doing the only job they can and dealing with an issue like price matching probably causes a great deal of stress. However at that moment, I was just tired of dealing with incompetence. inconsistency and failure to follow stated policy.
I'm bothered with myself that I got so frustrated, knowing full well if I had kept my cool I would have been more effective in the discussion. I am bothered that this comes up every couple of months, when their website is quite clear. I did call and apoligize to the manager because I felt badly about it. I just need to keep my cool sometimes. Please feel free to ignore my insanity.
5 comments:
For a million reasons, I refuse to shop at said establishment. I am definitely a Target shopper.
That is why I never price match. :) (The real reason is b/c I am lazy.) I do feel your pain. After going with kids and then waiting to get to the register-- who wants that? Not me. I am sorry.
I avoid Walmart whenever possible, and I'm too lazy to deal with the price matching business. But I have had experiences at Walmart that have caused me to leave the store in tears. And still I have yet to lay down the boycott.
I never leave Target feeling dirty, but it happens often at Walmart. Could be the clientele, could be the stooping required to get me in there, could be the "cheerfulness" of the employees. Take your pick.
Such a lovely store.
HOnestly, I'm with Jenny. We never price match. I do look at the ads of other stores, but usually it's just not worth the hassle.
you're more woman than i am. i wouldn't have called an apologized.
way to be awesome!
Post a Comment