Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Best Laid Plans.......

So I haven't been to the temple since Savannah was born and I am going through some serious withdrawals. Today was supposed to be the day. I found a wonderful babysitter with a daughter Abbie's age and had timed it all perfectly. (I know you can already smell trouble..) But I didn't take into account two things - vaccinations and dishwashers.

Savannah had her two month check up today (10 lbs. 12 oz 50th percentile - I don't think Abbie ever made it to the 50th percentile). This included a slew of shots. We came home and shortly afterward Savannah was supposed to go down for a nap. I use "supposed" to mean "what one would expect to happen to a two- month-old baby after she had been awake for five and a half hours." Soon, she was out. (Or so I thought.) Then Abbie was out. I turned on the dishwasher then I was out. I want to say for the record that turning on the dishwasher was only to wash the dishes - no other reason.

About 45 minutes later I woke up and went upstairs to check my email. Then I heard it. Savannah screaming hysterically - the kind that you only get after a good long while of screaming - with the "ah ah ah" breathing in-between. You know the kind. I hadn't heard a peep while I was down stairs thanks to the dishwasher. In my most guilt filled thoughts she had been screaming the whole time I slept - I wouldn't know. I'll never wash dishes again. It took me 20 minutes and Tylenol to calm her down, but then every time I bumped her leg she would scream bloody murder again. She just barely went down.

Deciding that I couldn't leave my friend with a hysterical baby, (nor could I feasibly wake Savannah again to put her in the car seat to get to my friend's house) and feeling horribly guilty for being oblivious to her screams - I will have to forego the temple for one more day...Sigh.

9 comments:

The Woolf Pack said...

I am sorry, I am with you on the whole never washing dishes again. :) Next time we are there, I will take your girls and you can go!

The Woolf Pack said...

Oh, and the girls are looking more adorable everyday!

jamieleighcall said...

Doesn't it always seem to happen like that?! It has been awhile since I've been too. I just have to remind myself this is a stage of life that most LDS go through. Hope you can go soon! Did you sign up for the Turkey race? You will have to let me know so I can cheer you on. Hope you're doing well, besides dealing with hysterical children. ;)

delagray said...

GG & I just looked at your last two posts. Savannah is so beautiful. I must say I love the description of your day, though the living of it doesn't sound like something I would like to do. I'd forgotten how all the naps never worked. I'm impressed that you are already ready to go to the temple. I love that you love going. Better luck next time. : ) What a cute picture of the two girls together. As GG commented, it surely makes Abbie look like a big girl. A few books, huh? Another reader in the family. Abbie is no doubt a lot cuter than her dad in the beanie cap. Not that I don't think Russ is "darned" cute.

Kelseybob said...

We don't even say the words "Going to the temple" until we are walking out the door. We find that when we say we are going things just fall apart. I can't believe she is almost 11lbs. Ethan just hit 13 at 6 months. I want a chubby baby! :(

Allison said...

I'm so sorry. I think the 2 month old shots were the worst for all three of my kids, if that's any consolation. But believe me, you're not the only mother to not hear her child scream for one reason or another. We've all been there.

Oh, and I have to say, Savannah has the cutest Ebert cheeks!

Heather said...

I feel your pain. Been there many times. At least you got a nap! ha ha.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only mom that needs naps.:) Your daughters are SO adorable! I think it's fun that we're both going to have an Abigail. Sami's off track next week so we should hang out.

Mona said...

Just try and focus on the blessing that we are supposed to get for being mothers. :) Love you, girl! Don't feel guilty about the crying, I FORGOT about Carter(how do you forget that you have 2 children?!) and left him in the house alone for over 45 minutes. He was only crying a litte bit- but was that because he had finally calmed down....???? I don't know!