Tuesday, July 8, 2008

4th of July

First, no Savannah yet. We keep hoping she'll come but obviously we are much more excited to see her than she is to see us (Not that I blame her.)

We had a wonderful 4th of July weekend! We woke up early on the 4th (a
s we always do with a two year-old with a 7 a.m. alarm brain.) and we went to breakfast at a fantastic restaurant in Sugarhouse - Finns. After breakfast we went to Russ's dad's house -just missing what looked like a fantastic neighborhood parade.We spent the morning visiting but thanks to some amazing water guns provided by Stewart (Russ's brother) a water fight quickly broke out soaking nearly everyone. Abbie love the excitement, but as she hates water in her face she quickly ran to the sidelines to avoid the fray. However when the water fight turned into wash grandpa's car she was definitely on board.
After some quick naps at home we went up to Lisa (Russ's sister) to swim in their clubhouse pool. Abbie loved the kiddie pool and Russ loved starting up another water fight with the kids - only to soak a complete stranger in the face. (He received his comeuppance soon enough getting drenched in the face multiple times.) With a fantastic BBQ at the end it was a perfect 4th of July. Saturday we went up the canyon and threw rocks in the river - a highly under appreciated pastime for anyone over the age of eight - and played in the kiddie pool later. Once again a perfect day. Just a few "Abbie-isms" now ...

During Sacrament meeting, somebody had a baby blessing, and as they held up the child to show her to the congregation, the binky popped out of his mouth, and the congregation chuckled a little. At this, Abbie burst into a loud laugh and called out "binky!!!" for all to hear, causing even more laughter.

Abbie loves to make animal sounds, especially bears, lions, and other animals that say "Raar!" At church Sunday, we had been talking to her about using her "quiet voice" in Sacrament Meeting, and she had been doing a pretty good job. She sat, silently playing with her little quiet book which featured bears of various colors. Suddenly, in the midst of a rather slow testimony meeting, she calls out at the top of her lungs, and before we had time to react, "bear say RAAAAR!!!!!" interrupted by an almost instantaneous hand-to-the-mouth from her mom. She was so startled by the abrupt mouth covering that she immediately burst into tears, so we had to run her out into the hall. Of course, she assumed she was in Time Out, just for doing something we normally encourage her to do with our laughter. Out in the hall, between her sobs, she choked out the words, with quivering lips, "bear (sniff) say (sob) raaar?" Tears and laughter almost flowed simultaneously from both her parents as well. "Yes, Abbie, bear DOES say roar."

5 comments:

Ben and Lisa said...

Okay, how stinkin cute is Abbie? I would love to have witnessed the bear event--I'm sure everyone in the chapel appreciated the comic relief. We're so glad we got the spend the 4th with you guys. Keep me updated on the baby news!

The Woolf Pack said...

I am sorry that Savannah hasn't made her appearance yet, just enjoy your last days as a mom of one! I wish we could have been there for the 4th, sounded like fun. Your stories about Abbie are always so entertaining, I want her to come to Sacrament with me so I can see her comic relief. :) What a cutie!

Kelseybob said...

Sorry no baby yet. :( But I agree take advantage of having just one. ;)
Abbie is so cute. I would have loved to hear her during Sacrament metting.

Allison said...

Abbie would fit right in if you guys were at church with us!!! Chris came up with a new way to ask Ellie to whisper - he reminds her to "talk like a butterfly". It used to work really well, but this week the response was a really loud, "NO! I don't WANT to talk like a butterfly!!!"

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you enjoyed the 4th. Abbie is really cute and I wish when Bridger was abruptive at church it would be that cute and not a tantrum.
-Mona