Thursday, April 10, 2008

Its All Happening at the Zoo!

We really haven't had too much to tell lately. Last week was my last week of teaching before summer break and so I've spent most of this week catching up on some things I let slide and starting a deep spring cleaning. I absolutely have LOVED teaching this last year. I love that I get to use that part of my brain. It has been so rewarding as I've had different students tell me that they didn't think they would like my class and ended up enjoying it quite a bit. That all said - I'm ready for summer break! (Because having a baby is such a break!)

Unfortunately summer is not yet ready for me.

It has been freezing this week. Yet, in our naive optimism Russ took Tuesday morning off work and we went to the zoo. For the record, the weather looked great from the inside - and even at our house it was not too cold. Unfortunately, up at Hogle Zoo there was a wonderful crisp (to put it mildly) wind. None of us were dressed for it. Abbie of course didn't notice as she ran from exhibit to exhibit. Russ and I were quite grateful though for all the indoor monkey houses. (This first picture is Abbie at the monkey house. You can't see it well, but the monkey is right by the glass and Abbie has her hand touching right where he is.)

This time Abbie's favorite exhibit was watching the elephants eat their dinner. Every time the elephant would lift its trunk up to take a bite she would just start giggling. Russ had never been to the zoo with Abbie and he thoroughly enjoyed watching how excited and giggly she got with each of the different animals. The advantage of going on such a cold day was that almost all of the animals were quite active - which Abbie enjoyed even more. So even though it wasn't ideal- it was SO nice to spend the day as a family.

3 comments:

Allison said...

My friend and I took our kids to the zoo last year on one of those "it may be cold, but it's not raining, so let's make the most of it" days we Oregonians know and love, and I'm now convinced that's the way to do it. It's like the animals deliberately go quiet when there's too many people, but if the weather's yucky and the people are all snug at home, the animals come out and play.

I'm glad you guys had fun!

The Woolf Pack said...

I hope your day at the zoo was warmer today. I feel lucky to say our day today was sunny and so warm. I think I even have a bit of a sunburn. I am glad that you got to spend the day as a fam.

Kelseybob said...

I love the zoo when it is colder. But it is something to prepare for.
Looks like fun!