Having a daughter brings out a whole other dimension in me. I want her to look adorable. I still prefer substance to style and don't want a fashionista on my hands if I have any control over it at all (and I'm sure any of you with daughters will be quick to remind me that I don't). However, I have been fretting over the last few weeks because Abbie -- while still the most beautiful girl in the whole world --was having some hair issues. Specifically - her bangs were too short to stay pulled back in elastics or clips, and long enough to be constantly in her eyes. Her hair is so thin that it was starting to look straggly after nap time and always falling into her eyes...so I gave in. (This picture doesn't really show how much the hair falls into her face, but you can see how they are always pushed around.)
I cut her bangs.
This was a big deal because I hated growing out my bangs between junior high and high school and thought it would just be better to not bother with them in the first place. But I went for it anyway. This is where my lack of any clue about how to make her hair look cute and fashionable made me realize (once again) my complete inadequacy in the realms of raising girls. I was terrified at having scissors close to her face and terrifed that with one misplaced snip I would have ruined her adorable hair. However thanks to "A Bugs Life" and fruit snacks, Abbie sat very still for the single snip of the scissors across her forhead and I was only left to fix one or two stragglers in the morning.
I think it turned out pretty good all things considered and can only console myself with the fact that she is way too young to care. Heaven help me when she is twelve!
7 comments:
Don't fret Emily, she looks so dang cute with those bangs. You should see what I did to Mack's bangs this week. It is okay on one side but sort of slants down on the other. I didn't notice until people started commenting, so I had to fix it. Now her bangs are just a tad too short. You gotta love being a mom/hairdresser/personal shopper/stylist. I second your thoughts on raising daughters:)
I think you did a great job. Just wait until she is old enough to try it herself. :) Bangs are really in right now, and I think little girls look cute with bangs. Good job mom!
When I saw the word "Haircut", my first thought was that you had given in to Russ and cut bangs on you. I knew that would be a huge sacrifice & I understand where you're coming from. (I grew mine out once, when I was 19 and I would even have nightmares that somebody cut them without my ok.
After I read the story, I looked back and saw that it did say "First Haircut". I love her bangs. You did a great job. It is scary, though. Makes you want to use dull, kiddy scissors. Abbie, you look soooo cute.
I know we already talked about the cuteness of the haircut on the phone, but I will comment anyway! You really did do a great job. The first time I take scissors to Cambelle's head, I guarantee a major disaster will ensue. She often looks like a little neglected orphan child lately, but I don't know what to do with her hair. And when it comes to function vs. fashion, you definitely married into the right family!!!
I am with you on the worries about not being girly enough to raise girls. You are doing great though. Way better than when my mom used to cut my bangs and they would und up 1/2 inch long because she kept trying to "straighten" them out.
She looks adorable, as always, and you did a fabulous job! I can tell you are much more haircut-savvy than I am, because the first time I tried to cut bangs on Lexi I cut them way too short and clear back behind her ears, and thus began many years of haircut agony that we're just getting over. No bangs here, EVER AGAIN. But that's just me and my own personal stresses. I now pay for their haircuts, because I can't handle the emotional trauma that it puts all of us through! Good for you for taking the plunge!
It turned out cute! We just did the same thing with my daughter. They can be a pain in the rear (the bangs, not daughters.....he he), but they sure do look cute!
And I'm right there with you on not being comfortable having a girly girl. It's a new dimension for me.
Post a Comment