Friday afternoon I had knee surgery, an arthroscopic lateral release, which means, at least in my case that they cleaned out a bunch of cartilage and bone spurs, and cut a tendon so my patella will...hopefully..move to the correct spot.
The surgery was scheduled for 4:30...p.m.Yes, I was the last surgery of the day which meant I got to fast for the entire day. I honestly don't mind fasting for spiritual reasons. I find that it helps me focus my mediations, thoughts, and prayers on what really matters to me. But to fast for fastings sake just ticks me off. Which is probably why when I was dropping off my bike to my brother-in-law and visiting I happened to pop a few dried blueberries in my mouth.
Thankfully they didn't cancel the surgery. Although all their dumb paperwork would lead you to believe they would do otherwise.
Finally at the hospital I checked in and started all the, what I thought would be, routine, physical exams. However the nurse listening to my heart seemed to be taking an extra long time. And then the words,
"Hmmm... that sounds interesting."
Never a good thing in relation to your heart. Enter EKG machine.
Unfortunately the EKG wasn't entirely conclusive. I either had a PAC (premature artirial contraction) which is not a big deal or an artirial fibrilation, which is a huge deal, and only a minor side effect would be to cancel the surgery to figure out what was going on.
Two anaesthesiologists later they decided they were 95% sure it was a PAC and to go ahead, but be sure to follow up with a doctor about it later.
Now I am home, and keeping my leg properly elevated and iced.(Thanks Lisa and Ben for the ice machine.) I am much less mobile than I'd expected and much more bored than I expected, and still have to be off my feet until at least Wednesday. Once again, any books or Netflix suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thankfully my husband, kids, and neighbors have been such fantastic supports that hopefully, this will go by relatively quickly and I can get back moving again.
3 comments:
What an ordeal! I'm glad your heart is most likely (95%) fine. I wish you a speedy recovery. I recommend 'Call the Midwife' on Netflix.
Oh, yay! You got a "probably benign", too! Isn't it fun?
Aside from that, I'm glad the surgery went well. I will admit that I do envy your forced resting just a little bit, but I'd probably only enjoy it for a day. Good luck making it to Wednesday. Hey, this would be a good time to start watching LOST! And if you haven't watched "Lars and the Real Girl" yet, I highly, highly recommend it. It's on Netflix streaming now. Another really quirky movie is "Bernie", starring Jack Black. I'll be thinking about good books and get back to you on that. I finally have time to read again!
My suggestion would be to watch all of Season 1 of Once Upon a Time that I loaned you and then to watch all of Season 2 on Netflix that have played. . . they still have a couple before the season ends. It will keep you busy for a while.
Let me know if you need anything. And hopefully you are back up and going soon!
Post a Comment