Thursday, February 7, 2013

Not so Random Thoughts Thursday

Things are not very random around here. My kids got sick again this week. The weather here is very polluted  and cold. So rather than bore you with the same thoughts I've been having for the last few weeks I will give you a little insight into my teaching this semester.

The following is a transcript from an email I got from a student regarding a paper they wrote and their grade. (Name deleted to protect the guilty. Subject deleted to protect me from spam and internet wrath)

Dear Sister Gray,

Are you telling me that I am being penalized, through the grade you gave me on my paper, because I exercised my civil liberty of “freedom of speech,” which is protected by the first amendment of the Constitution of the United States, because I do not agree with the ... agenda of a church?
[Name]
(My response...)


No that is not what I am telling you. You are being penalized because you did not maintain the standard of an academic paper, as I said in my comment. A respectful tone is necessary in academic papers. I have given good grades to students regardless of their political opinion when they meet that standard. 

- Emily Gray
(And their response back..)

What do you mean by a “respectful tone?”   Where is the guideline for what defines a “respectful tone” in academic papers? Also,  what is the political opinion I expressed?  I just expressed a morale agency opinion?  I also stated that the church promoting the.... agenda had a right, protected by the first amendment, to voice their opinion.  Are you telling me that because I do not agree with the agenda that I did not have a “respectful tone” and I was penalized in my paper for that reason?   I need clarification.

[Name]

Sent from my iPhone


(My response)

Let me try to answer your questions.

First, a respectful tone is one that does not engage in emotional arguments or demeaning labels. That is the standard for academic papers. Emotional arguments are problematic for two reasons. First they make their proponent look too lazy to do actual research (even if this isn't the case). Second they make their proponents appear overly biased. This then weakens their credibility. Part of learning to write well is writing in a way that presents your position in as strong a way as possible. Strengthening your argument with facts and data rather than emotional arguments will add considerable strength to your papers. (Although for these one page papers you shouldn't need to do any research outside of what is in the news article, unless you want to do so.) I've re-reviewed your paper and tried to provide specific suggestions for help on future papers. 

Regarding your questions about political or moral agency opinions expressed, this assignment was not an opinion paper. The requirements for this paper are, " Write a brief  summary of the article, and how the current event is related to the content of the chapter.  Also include (where relevant) how both political parties approach the issue, including their logic for doing so."  Your opinions while not overtly expressed were very apparent in words like "so called" and "promotes itself as a Christian church". You have every right to believe these things but the place to express them is in an opinion paper, and then maintaining the standard I explained above. 

Once again, you were not penalized because you do not agree with the agenda. I hope by applying my suggestions you can be a strong proponent of your beliefs. I also hope this provides you some clarity.

- Emily


I, so, do not get paid enough.
I 

3 comments:

Lacey and Dan said...

I enjoyed your responses. So composed, non-emotional, intellegent. When I grow up I want to be like you :) Way to go teach!

Mona said...

Awesome. Kind of reminds me of teaching the 12 year olds in sunday school... I want to roll my eyes several times each Sunday. I'm sure you're doing the same with this student. And, no, I haven't finished season 3 of DA. I so want to... but didn't buy it... having to wait each week is killing me!! Sorry so much sickness. YUCK!

wendyberd said...

wow. i so would not have even gone that far to give them such a clear explanation - they didn't deserve your time on this one. i agree with you giving this student a bad grade.
poor sport.