Monday, June 4, 2012

Parenting Advice?

We are one week into Summer Break and if I hear, "I'm booorred!" One more time I think I might scream. I don't believe it is my job to constantly entertain my kids but they seem to want to do nothing but watch My Little Pony's on TV (something I am not okay with). So....how do you encourage your children to play with their toys, go outside, get creative, or sadly just have fun when they are boooored?

5 comments:

JennyLynn said...

I start asking my kids to pick things up and put them away. Pretty soon, they start avoiding me and find something quiet to do in another room. =)

Becky said...

I use pretty much the same method. If they tell me they are bored, I give them a chore to do. One of their friends came to visit and said "I'm bored." One of my kids quickly said, "Don't tell her that! She'll make you clean something!" :) Good luck! So excited about your new place.

B said...

My mom used to give us chores when we told her we were bored. We learned quickly to be creative and to entertain ourselves. It worked for her. The older that we got though she taught us to crochet, cross stitch and bake. She created some new outlets for us and let us run with it. Of course typically all you had to do with most of us was throw a book in our hands and we were content for hours. :)

The Woolf Pack said...

Pinterest has a cute idea with a jar and Popsicle sticks that have ideas on them, that's what we are doing this summer. Or you could just come down to Vegas and go swimming with us everyday, now that sounds fun. :)

Maralee [Oleson] Nelson said...

I'm not a parent, but I think my mom handled this complaint perfectly...whenever we said we were bored, she'd give us a list of CHORES we could do to keep from being bored. I guarantee we stopped complaining, and found things for ourselves to do to not be bored!
And to this day, if I find myself feeling bored, I automatically start thinking about chores I haven't had time to do :-)