Sunday, April 17, 2011

5K

It did not start off well.

 I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and could not get back to sleep. For those of you who know me you know this isn't unusual. Sadly, it followed a standard thought process.
"Oh, I'm awake. I better hurry and fall back asleep because I have to run this morning....Still awake..I really, really need to sleep I don't want to be exhausted for the race...AAaaaggghhh I'm still awake! What will I do there is no way I can do this." Stressing about being awake has never proved an effective method to falling asleep. But, well, at least I'm consistent.

After a hearty oatmeal breakfast I was off with my friend. We thought the race started at 7:30 so were a little surprised when we arrived at 7:10 to see people running. It turns out that the 5K actually started at 7:10. So we crossed the starting line three minutes late, but thanks to running chips our personal time didn't start until we crossed the starting line.

As far as the actual race goes there isn't much to tell.  I employed an interval strategy, run for three minutes and walk for one. (Adjust as needed) For me and my love of breathing and hatred of running it was perfect. I finished in 36:24, which I know for anyone but me would be an embarrassment. But I am proud, because I did it, and actually started running again when my watch told me to, rather than just ignoring it and continuing to walk which is what I wanted to do.

I still hate running, but I do enjoy people watching and with over 1,500 participants it was fun to see so many people! There were many pure walkers, many in the walk/run set, and just a few people booking it. (I'm sure there were more than I saw but obviously we were not very close to each other.) My favorite was a girl in a black and white striped hat that couldn't have been more than six years old who ran the whole thing with her dad! It was adorable! Not that I have a desire to be like her (that whole hatred of running thing and all) but that kid was tough.

The best part was it didn't take me an hour afterward to feel better! I'm sure the Paradise Bakery cookies helped with that.

In the afternoon I went on a leisurely 13 mile bike ride with a friend. At the time I had hoped to push it but the trail was crowded with runners so it was impossible. (That and we were chatting it up!)  This turned out to be a blessing because after the ride I noticed that I was unable to, well, to move much. I could barely walk up the stairs.  Thankfully, I was able to nap and relax for the rest of the day. (Thank heavens for family movie night!)

3 comments:

delagray said...

I already hated running before I read your blogs - but I think that feeling has now intensified by leaps and bounds.

I think the story the father/daughters wrote us priceless. Mom and I read it together and enjoyed it totally. Felt like I was there.

Aside from the flu - your vacation sounds and looks wonderful. It means so much for cousins and grandparents and sisters to be able to spend precious time together. AND it looked pretty sunny. We in Oregon can hardly remember what the word 'sun' means, though we are having some sunlight today. A true Sun-day.

B said...

I don't think that you are giving yourself enough credit . . . for someone that hates running and doesn't do it that often, you did fabulous!! Heck I run 2-3 times a week and you were only 1 minute behind me! Thanks for coming with me.

P.S. That little girl was the cutest and since I was next to them the whole time, I also have to add that her and her dad were having a discussion the entire time. Talking while running is something I CANNOT do. She was very impressive.

wendyberd said...

congrats! i'm proud that you stuck in through and finished and did listen to your watch. keep up the good work - even though you hate it. :)