Sunday, March 6, 2011

Surprise!

Thursday night Russ had an awards banquet we needed to go to for work. It went late and thankfully my parents could babysit. Several days before, while at my parents house, my mom mentioned that maybe it would be easier for the girls to just sleepover at her house that night. I was overjoyed! I immediately asked Russ if he could go into work a little late so we could go to breakfast and just hang out for the morning.

Wednesday night Russ had packed all the girls clothes and had them ready to go for the next day. Sadly, I didn't trust he would have everything so I opened the bag. There were a few extra clothes inside. I wondered for a minute if something was up, but when I considered how busy he'd been with work, and how recently my parents had volunteered for the sleepover I thought it was highly unlikely. I was more sure that he had just grabbed handfuls of clothes and just stuffed them in.

Friday morning I throughly enjoyed every moment that I didn't have to rush out of bed to serve breakfasts and could be incredibly lazy.  As we were driving off to go to breakfast Russ headed in a different direction than every single restaurant I had mentioned. He said he knew a place at the south end of the valley. Russ often likes to be secretive so I just rolled with it but, frankly was starving and didn't want to drive to Sandy when I knew perfectly well all the good restaurants were closer to us. When we hit the end of the valley, I said, "Where are we going?"

To which he replied, "Somewhere on the way to St. George."

Russ had planned it for weeks. He arranged for my parents to take the girls for the weekend, packed all of their clothes packed all of my clothes, and cleaned the house in case the realtor needed to show it, and planned a weekend get away! Even in my moments of suspicion I honestly hadn't considered this incredible option! It really blew me away that he pulled it past me with only my passing suspicion. Usually I am much more aware. It turned me into a big puddle of girl. Which frankly, is an incredibly wonderful feeling.

Between not seeing Russ for almost the entire month of February because of his crazy work deadlines, and teaching two classes this semester we have both been completely exhausted and had almost no time to see each other. This vacation was heaven sent, via Russ.  We found a bunch of new trails and some out of the way hikes that we've never seen before. But truly the best part was we got to talk for hours on end without interruption or being so tired we couldn't keep our eyes open. Also the weather was warm. So warm I wish I had shorts. It was perfect.

I really do think I married the best guy on the planet. I am confident that I am not at all biased in this judgment.

6 comments:

The Steeds said...

How FUN! I am so jealous. I am glad that you had a great time and all. Hope all is going well for you guys. Take care.

B said...

I told him he was fabulous when he called me on Wednesday and asked me to teach your lesson on Sunday. Glad you had a great time! :)

Allison said...

I am so incredibly jealous. But I'm glad you had such a great weekend! You've earned it.

The Woolf Pack said...

Tell that brother of mine he is setting the bar pretty high for husbands out there. :) That is awesome, I'm so glad you guys had a fun getaway.

Mona said...

Hooray! That is so great. Glad you could get away!

Heather said...

yay! what a great guy. sounds like you needed it.